You eat WHAT?

graeme has mentioned eating fried seaweed and clams (laverbread and cockles) for breakfast. This is usually served with a fried egg or two and beans. Mmm-mmm.
Can anyone top that?

Comments

• My German grandparents...and hence my father...would make something called Mehlsuppe (literally Milk Soup) for breakfast. It's made with buttermilk, flour, and sour cream served over cottage cheese and pumpernickel bread. My arteries are hardening just thinking about it. Only served in the winter...thank God!

• Try this simple Quebec dessert: thick slice of crusty French or belge bread serve in a deep plate (bread not less than 2in. thick), top with a generous slice of soft maple sugar, pour cold 35% cream over the bread. Pour enough so as to soak into the bread and then pour some more for good luck. Guaranteed the most simple and best tasting refreshing dessert you will ever taste.

• Grits for breakfast, then fried grits for dinner.

• what are grits?

• I like Picante Sauce on a good salad.

• a dish of coarsely ground corn kernels boiled with water or milk,

• Grits...as mentioned, is coarsely ground corn, and is amazingly similar to polenta, the northern Italian side dish. Southerners eat it with a little butter on top. Some old timers make something called 'red eye gravy' made from bacon fat and coffee (no...I'm not kidding)

• Oh my god! Talk about culture shock. But you never know, compared to winkles or snails it maybe not that bad. Are any of those old timers still living :) .

• Well...shrimp and grits ain't bad. I draw a line at Red Eye gravy though. I heard beans are served as a side in the U.K....true?

• Gerald just sent me a video on how grits are made. Looks pretty good, probably tastes and feels like a thick corn soup. He put a topping of grated cheese, had a side dish of crisp bacon and grilled hot dogs. Looks pretty good. Beans go with everything and yes I could see shrimp and grits. Red eye gravy sounds a little too greasy for my liking. It also looks like you have to know what you are doing and have a bit of experience to judge when it reaches the right consistency. I could see myself eating something like that

• Grits as we ate them are very bland. YMMV.

• I'm sorry I mentioned laverbread now.No homedoggy,beans is not a side dish here.Baked beans can be used with anything and generally is ie beans on toast quite popular.I do like the sound of red-eye gravy,could go well with baked beans.

• Morning everyone. A bold new day!
    My fault for not completing the sentence...but the 'beans' to which I referred are served with eggs for breakfast.
    Music to follow.

• Long, long ago, my mother used to make fried shredded wheat. I googled it, recipes are still here. We also liked fried spam. I would prefer shrimp and grits, but we didn't know about that.

• Here in Pennsylvania, our ancestors were immigrants from all over Europe. Our collective heritage has revealed some interesting and usually tasty ethnic foods. Haven't made it in ages, but my favorite is stuffed Pig Stomach, a PA Deutsch dish. The stomach is very thin and stretchy and provides flavor and a basting property to the smoked sausage, bread, potatoes and celery that stuffs it. If you're determined, you can chew on the stomach for a bit but most leave it on the plate and just eat the stuffing. As a side dish you can't go wrong with Haluski, just boiled cabbage mixed with hardy noodles in butter, salt and pepper. A Hungarian apricot sheet cake is to die for. The Italians know pizza, bread and marinara sauce. Oh, and we like our Philly steak sandwich, WITH sauce, no whiz.

• Sounds similar to Scottish Haggis which...thanks to Mike Myers...has reached a legendary status. Locals even tell visitors that the haggis is a small furry creature, and encourage them to go on a haggis hunt in the wee hours of morning...when the haggis are active and the scotch has kicked in.
    You can't go wrong with a Philly cheesesteak sammich...ummm

• We go snipe hunting here in Tennessee, too wet and cold anyway , will make some Cajun Chicken Burritos when chicken is done baking and cools off. One dream of mine is to eat a Philly Cheesesteak, sounds scrumpty delicious to me. Can we throw some jalapenos on top? ~~~~

• NOTHING tops my Grandma's (1886 - 1973) biscuits and gravy. She used lard and bacon grease for seasoning and YUMMMMMMMMM. I loved it and her fried okra - another YUMMMMMMMMMM. Or her cobblers - SWOON. Dagnabit - drooling now. And no matter how hard I have tried, they have NEVER tasted as good as hers. Time to hit the kitchen - got the munchies :).

• Gerald, if you can't make it to Philadelphia to eat one in it's natural habitat but find yourself vacationing in Myrtle Beach, SC you can find a good Philly steak sandwich because of all the Northeast transplants living there and running restaurants. In my opinion, it's all about the bread in the hoagie roll which should be crusty on the outside, with a chewy inside. Never soft! The right bread is harder to find outside of PA than one might imagine which is why it's usually a disappointment to eat one elsewhere. The jalapenos sound divine as I love it with sauteed onions. Your Cajun spiced chicken sounds delish, I like to cover a nice piece of fish or steak with Cajun spice. Can we talk about chocolate?

• there is nothing wrong with having eggs, spam and rice for dinner especially when you are an air force family with an hawaiiian heritage and 8 kids

• Anglais, "a slice of soft maple sugar" I have never heard of this but it sounds heavenly.

• Might be eating snow cream starting tomorrow afternoon into Thursday, here in Western 1/3 of Tennessee.

• With Thanksgiving coming up, my son called to see if I had a sweet potato casserole recipe and asked if it was a dessert. I said "No...but you make it with brown sugar and mini marshmallows"
    Maybe it is a dessert.

• Anyone for mincemeat pie after your Thanksgiving dinner?

• I do enjoy mince pies and haggis,but the furry creatures,the haggis,are very difficult to catch.They tend to frequent the higher reaches of the Highlands.They can,of course be lured out of their lair with inducements.They are very partial to a good Highland malt.Preferably in large measures.

• I was not aware the Glenlivet was used as bait. You learn something new every day. Well...I've got to run out and pick up some blinker fluid for my car. It always pays to check with winter approaching.

• Someone say something about winter, will talk about our predicament in Tennessee snow forecast when or if comes, Hello homedoggy, graeme, Treacle, anglais, take care, yah~ talking about furry creatures , would be nice to have some coon , aka raccoon let it bake in its on juices with diced potatoes , onions and carrots , falls right off bone,

• You don't eat coon. But that was rumored to make Brunswick Stew so good.

• It is a delicacy around the Tennessee River, raccoons are everywhere around here.

• We have them around here also. We have several decorative apple trees, small bright red apples that don't fall off. In the fall the racoons come and eat some of them, later on all sorts of beautiful birds come to feed before migrating down south. Then the squirrels keep the rest for themselves, protecting their winter larder against large ravens who try to steal their apples. A source of entertainment all winter long. Hi Homedoggy.

• I like Vegemite, which a lot of foreigners don't seem to find appealing.

• One favourite of mine is Toad in the Hole. I still remember my dad, decades ago, telling me what we were having for dinner. He explained it to me in very colourful detail. I remember too, that there was going be another dish with his toe nail clippings. I was about 6 years old and terrified. But that was dad. ;~) ps ... I guess the toe nail dish didn't turn out.

• Hi jabba.I must speak up for us foreigners.Many in this far-away country,especially vegans like Vegemite.I myself,so used to eating raw haggis and laverbread,prefer Marmite.Now back to the tribal dance.

• I'll stand in line for mince pie. Where does the line start ?

• Word of Vegemite has reached the far shores of North Kakalacky (although not our store shelves) however Marmite is new to me. You Brits are so prolific. My research this morning revealed that they are spread on bread...or toast by themselves. I don't know why, but I thought it was a mayo kinda thing added to sandwiches.
    @anglais ...we have a crab apple tree that all the critters seem to enjoy. I can sit on my porch and watch the bluebirds flying to it one after another. Joy.
    @Rev ...Toad in a Hole was new to me also...sounds good. Is it a breakfast or dinner thing?
    My dad called soy sauce 'dragon's blood' when I was small.
    Somebody bought a rhubarb pie once. I had a bite....very twangy

• Jabba...what in the dickens is Vegemite? Graeme mentioned something about tribal dancing vegans sacrificing marmites, where does he get these ideas from.

• Tim tam slam, now you’re talking :)

• I just looked up vegemite, That might be good , have to do search on where to find!

• I feel very pedestrian. Lol. Bland, boring and common for me. I do make a very good taco.. Fill a soft tortilla and fry in a cast iron skillet. Tasty.

• @fingsaint...I'll admit ...I had to look it up. So...coffee?...Chocolate milk?...port wine?

• For authenticity Milo is the way to go, @homedoggy , with coffee a close 2nd. B)

• Homedoggy ... I did not name it correctly. It is Toad in The Hole. Basically it is this ... Using a good sized oven proof frying pan, preferably cast iron, brown several links of your favorite sausage. When done if needed add a little more fat - pork or beef drippings are the best. Make sure pan and fat are piping hot. Pour Yorkshire Pudding batter over sausages and bake in 425-450 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes. Serve hot. I like mine with gravy though pepper and salt will do. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. YUM! ;~)

• @Rev...Thanks for responding. The ingredients for Yorkshire Pudding sounded like a pancake batter so I thought it might be a breakfast sausage thingy...with syrup, as opposed to brats ...for supper. With gravy and maybe onions sounds perfect.
    I have a pancake story...if anybody wants to hear it.

• OMG - toad in the hole is just a hole in the middle of your bread in the fry pan then crack an egg in the middle - fry, ta da you have toad in the hole. Vegemite is a yeast extract spread that is savoury and tends to taste a bit salty to the un-initiated. Usually on toast. Marmite and promite are milder versions as far as I know.

• Crab apples for great homemade apple pie and fried fritters, awesome wish we still had crab apple tree.

• Hey Homedoggy ... it is most definitely not a pancake and I never put syrup on it though it might be good.The closest thing to it would be a savoury popover. I, like you, love a good pancake with a few sausage links, a few strips of bacon plus an egg or two, all stacked with a slight drizzle of syrup. Jabba, up here what you call Toad in the Hole many of us call Bird's Nest toast which is fried bread with hole cut out and egg drooped in the centre. I must say that there are many who name it as you do.

• G64, sounds soooooo good. My mouth is watering.

• Thanks Rev for the message hope all is well in the Pacific Northwest, great forum homedoggy!

• Just found a funny clip on youtube. An Englishman coaxed several people from Japan, an American and a French women to try Marmite for the first time pretending it was a British delicacy. From their expressions they really didn't like it. The Japanese group got back at the Englishman by mixing the marmite with soya sauce then dipping raw fish in it and pretended it was delicious. After one bite he almost sick to his stomach.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...