So, how about adding Forty and Eight?

barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
edited March 2019 in Feature Requests 99.13.95.92

It seems like a faster way of playing 40 Thieves... (I say that because I just won it on another site.) It really is a fun variation.

Comments

• I can send chocolate chip cookies if you add it. (Playing games on Green Felt is just more fun than other sites.)

• Cookies first

• I'll second that.

• That's called bribery, thou I do agree with C.O.D.( Cookies on Delivery) signed Cookie Monster

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

What’s the difference between Forty and Eight and Forty Thieves? They look identical at first glance.

• According to my research, King Philip II granted a letter of marque to Forty and Eight, so technically there’s no theft. Forty Thieves has no such letter, so it’s pirate solitaire.
    Arghh!

• The re-deal part in Forty and Eight makes it a much faster game. It's fun to play. I like how you have to be aware of where card is all the time. When it moves a row, the whole game changes so fast.

I've been playing it a lot and much prefer it to Forty Thieves.

• And there could be cookies?

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited March 2019 99.13.95.92

OK, the main difference with Forty and Eight is that you can see the cards that are in the deal pile. And you get two deals. So, that you can adjust moves accordingly. If 40 Thieves can sometimes frustrate you (or just me), Forty and Eight makes winning less complicated , imo. If you're looking for a more relaxing and still strategic game, it could be this one.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Interesting. Somewhere in our unpublished code I have a version of 40 thieves that fans out the cards in that way. I really liked it but got nervous that people would rebel against the change after so many years.

Forty and Eight also appears to have fewer columns (8 vs 10—probably where the name comes from?), which would make it seem harder on the face of it. But I guess the redeal helps there.

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited March 2019 99.13.95.92

It really does. You still feel smart when you solve it, but you feel smarter more often. Being able to see all the cards helps a lot.

I like the fewer columns. But I love the redeal. It's just a thought...maybe hide it in a secret game for those who are interested.

Thanks for considering it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...