Solstice

The Shortest Day
by: Susan Cooper

So the shortest day came and the year died....
and everywhere down the centuries of the snow white world came people...
singing.....dancing.....to drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees, they hung their homes with evergreen....
they burned beseeching fires all night long to keep the year alive.
And when the new days sunshine blazed awake they shouted...
Reveling...
Through all across the ages you can hear them echoing behind us....
...Listen....
All the long echoes sing the same delight this shortest day.
As promise wakens in the sleeping land they carol, feast, give thanks and dearly love their friends...
and hope for peace...
and so do we....here....now....this year....
and every year.

Welcome Yule!!

Love and Peace in the New Year to all Greenfelt denizens

BE SAFE

Comments

• Thank you, Ptownpapa...that was lovely. Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Hoping to see the "Christmas Star" tonight. Remembering.....Jesus IS the reason for the Season!! Peace and comfort to all!

• How appropriate for 2020, soon to be no more.

• Awesome Ptownpapa , agreed good riddance to 2020

• Lovely, and timely I agree: Love and Peace in the New Year to all, no exceptions.

• To all of my Dear friends on Greenfelt:

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Surely, it won't get any worse than 2020

• Time is precious...even in a year such as 2020. In a sense we were given a chance to learn...change...reflect.

I learned how precious life is...how at any time we can lose that life. I have tried to change how I view others and how a little kindness goes a long way. I have learned new hobbies...how to spend time alone and not be lonely. I found joy in simple things.

So much good can come out of what seems to be so much sadness. We just have to look for it.

2021 will soon be here...but covid and the US elections seem to be ongoing (at least for a while). Racism still exists and our divisions have not healed. It is our chance to reach out to others even when we don't agree. We can be kinder and not so quick to criticise.

We are all different and yet we are all alike. We love...we laugh...we cry.

I hope that all of you can find happiness...no matter what year we are living in!

Happy Holidays

• Thx @Ptownpapa
    Just right.

• Thanks for the Kind words Nan01 , true meaning of live now we must move on , never regret the past , nor wish to shut the door on it. Merry Christmas to all and soon a Happy New Year, that we all look forward to.

• As promise wakens in the sleeping land they carol, feast, give thanks and dearly love their friends...
    and hope for peace... Amen, brothers & sisters of GreenFelt. And to @riverrat55, well said, "now we must move on , never regret the past , nor wish to shut the door on it. Merry Christmas to all and soon a Happy New Year, that we all look forward to." I quote from those more eloquent than me. <3

• Thank-you Ptownpapa.What a lovely,timely poem.A good preparation for a new optimistic new year to come.Nice thought.

• Thank you for sharing the poem! And thanks to everyone here who helps this feel like a community.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...