Hopeless

Now that a few jack wagons have ruined the game I'm hopeful (pun intended) you find a creative way to fix it and avoid future problems.

Comments

• probably me

• I had proposed that when a game kept reappearing that was loading up the board with the same one or two players, that those specific games would be automatically shifted to a separate game screen so that people can play that game as much as they want without bottling up the main game for others. I believe the coding to do this is rather simple and could be implemented in a short time. There are currently two or three games that keep coming back up every day. Games 791533794 and 1193945202 are the problematic games.

• Which game, the game of the day or the 'high scores' games. If I have been a 'jackwagon' it was not intentional. I try to play for a high score while logged off on both,. The game of the day Can require a few tries to get a top score, and thoughh I had the three high scores you can look at the standings now and see why. As for the games in the high score section below, duesxmachina (sp) tries to start the day off with a nice selection of games but there are people who end up in a grudge match, like today, and fill the standings. JackofHearts has a good suggestion above, but until then all you can do is get on it ASAP before it gets loaded with the same two games.

• Ever since I got hooked on Hopeless last August, I've kept a log of most of games on which I've scored more than 24,000 points (complete with the date I found it and the score, rounded to down to the thousand). If anyone's interested, I could share it somehow--probably as a cloud doc somewhere. Should be possible to make it editable so others can add games (i.e., rows) and their own scores (columns).
    This would basically be an end run around the problems with the site's High Scores list. What's more, I expect it would actually exacerbate those problems because more "old" games would be filling the board, thereby making it harder for new games to surface there. As I proposed in this thread several months ago, I think a better solution would be to change the behavior of the High Scores list so that the Today panel shows only games first played that day and, ideally, only the top score for each of those games.
    Anyway, if you're interested in having me share my log of 24K+ games, let me know either by posting here or sending me a DM.

• I apologize for resurrecting a zombie game on Easter. It was unintentional, playing from the previous day where it dominated the high scores board. I found a new route to higher scores and forgot that the new day would begin this evening, like it always does.

• Jack: what is your new route to higher scores. I'm not even sure how it is scored.

• Can all games be won?

• My apologies for inundating the board with the same old game this evening. I thought I was logged out.

• JackofHeartsJackofHearts REGISTERED
    edited April 2020 66.138.185.99

Hi YofHollywood. Here are the steps to score your best scores.
    1. Play a three color game
    2. Find the color that has the most linked blocks and try to link all that color into the largest block you can by removing the smallest blocks of other colors to allow them to join together. The larger the piece you play the greater the score for that play.
    3. Once you have played the first color, do the same with the next color that you can link into the largest possible piece, then play it. Then finally play whatever is left.
    4. Sometimes you want to play all blocks, but sometimes the highest score is actually made by not playing all the blocks because you were able to link a larger previous color piece by not using a block that if played would result in a smaller previous piece (if that makes sense).

You have to understand how the blocks move left and down as pieces are removed so you can think how the colors will link together as you play.

My mentioning a new route was specific to that highest scoring game that keeps reappearing. Before I found it, the best I could do was always less than 35000. It was not pertinent to other games

• The scoring formula for any given set of blocks is [number of blocks] squared * 3.
    This means that the value of each additional block increases. A group of 10 blocks scores 300 points, which is 57 points higher than 9 blocks. A group of 90 scores 24,300 points, which is 537 higher than 89.

• I am getting so tired of the same game night after night. I know I have been guilty at times of perpetuating it, but I am ready to never see it again. Should I do a video to show everyone how to get the high score so we could move on, or just let people continue to fill up the high scores board?

• Would love to see a video 🙂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...