Please allow participants to appear in the top 25 best scores only once!!!

Game: freecell
Game #: 3916180601

What would you like to see?

Some players are writing programs to solve the puzzles versus doing the puzzle by hand. I am OK with that.
I object to them repeating their "program" multiple times over to eliminate opportunities for the vast majority who try to solve the puzzle with their mind.

I suggest each player can appear in the top 25 only one time.

Retain showing the top 10 as is currently done. This eliminates any need for them to keep repeating their program scores and eliminating lower scores that would normally qualify.

Thank you for your consideration!

Comments

• First, they are NOT cheating.

If you went to play tennis with Serena Williams and she beat you game after game after game, would you accuse her of cheating? I don't think you would. She took the time to learn the game VERY well and now reaps the rewards.

It's the same here. These people who repeatedly get high, fast games have worked to learn how. They learned all the shortcuts have them memorized to the point they don't even have to think to use them. They are able to memorize every card played, every move made. I don't know how much else they had to learn, but they did it by hand. Some use touch screens, they help. They have practiced, practiced, practiced many hours to get speed up.. And you can do the same, if you so decide to take the time.

No, they are not cheating.

Personally, I don't care if I win, lose, or draw. I'm just here to play the games. I'm not horrible at them, but I'm not good either. I just enjoy the games.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

@Bearcatguy: If you click the "Show a player's first score, not their fastest" button at the bottom of the high score table it'll do what you want.

• Springrain, I don't believe anyone on this thread accused people of cheating. The OP did suggest they might be writing programs to win. Some people may practice, practice, practice as you suggest; others may have developed a program. We just don't know for sure how any individual person achieved their high score. But like you, I come here to enjoy the games.

• At one point, David commented on possible cheats on green felt. I don/'t rememer the exact words, but they were something along the lines of they watch for those type of things and take care of them as they happen. Writing a program to win is cheating. But I feel quite certain that David and Jim take care of those.

• I think that saying people are writing programs to win, versus working hard to reason the game out, IS saying cheating is occuring.

• Bearcat guy wrote a similar post alleging cheating over a year ago.
    Practise makes perfect. So called written programmes or repetition to learn and improve still takes skill in whatever guise together with freedom of choice for learning styles and systems. Changing the system is like moving the goal posts but won't improve the result if you can't kick the ball in the right direction! Just keep practising to improve your own game

• The thing is, i do puzzle over these games. And i am never first in all of them. In fact i am rarely first in any of them by the end of the session. Many times i wonder how a player got that extra card in pyramid or how they got through seahaven when i could only clear half the cards. Practice has led me to not always put cards up in forty theives and to leave an empty space sometimes. And each game i play has little moves i do that i have learned through experience help or hinder my play, all trial and error.

• So...it's NOT selective breeding and performance enhancing drugs??????

• That extra card in pyramid is v e r y frustrating and haven't cracked it yet, enough to drive you to drink :'(

• I sometimes take paracetamol, does that count?

• Homedoggy.You have found me out.Does this mean I,m banished from the site?

• What on earth is a written programme?

• pro-Graeme?

• Unfortunately, my cure for frustration is to play more solitaire, so...

• Good one, lasso! :D

• I found it interesting that even the expert players didn't always get their best score the first time around. In a way it made me feel just a little better!

However on the rare occasion that I do play a game more than once...my second score will be worse than my first!!!

• I'd like to go on record as being staunchly pro-greame.

• Why can't we just play games and have fun, That is why I said so many times am here just to have fun and find my amusement on the comments on each forum, yeah I agree there is something in the water, My favorite game is free cell , to me if you cheat to win you are not a winner , don't care about getting high scores get lucky at my age now 54 Happy Birthday to me,,, to finish in top 20 ,,, not interested in programs on how to cheat , Just wanna have some fun and watch everybody pick on graeme , oh Hello graeme, didn't see you there , Hello everyone , Have fun!

• Happy Birthday to Gerald!

• We should probably eliminate the word "cheating" from our discussions of how FreeCell fast play is achieved. That word appears to spark the most controversy and divisiveness. A review of the rules shows that here's no stipulation regarding the use of bots or programs to speed up play of the game. But the use nowadays on this site of such methods is undeniable. I've mentioned in previous posts that it's challenging merely to achieve a click-per-second rate using a touchpad or mouse. Even if it were possible to cut the number of seconds in half using a touch screen, the times posted for the game being questioned (see beginning of thread) are not achievable through means of manual dexterity. 3bc and Deus ex machina (and all the variations thereof) and a very few others are posting scores of 4-7 seconds. Diligent practice will not enable one to defy the laws of physics. I'm not sure I quite grasp the Serena Williams analogy of an earlier post: I would liken a 4-second score more to a Usain Bolt running the 100-meter dash in under 5 seconds. For those who wish to argue that it's possible to achieve such a score manually (i.e., using only hand speed), I would point out that it requires around 2.7 seconds just to flush an entire 52-card deck using the Auto-finish feature. So, assuming that you could tee up all the cards via super moves for a galactic one-click finish, you would have only 1.3 seconds to do so in order to achieve a 4-second score. Not possible manually, don't you agree? I have not seen the Green Felt Guys weigh in on this subject, and I don't expect them to. There appear to be no violations of the rules. We must accept the fact that one of the "Bot players" will achieve the lowest score of any game in which he or she engages. Play on. You too, Gerald--Happy birthday.

• Beam me up Scotty!

• I have no idea how people finish so fast. I just know why t takes me so long, It's hard to balance my bowl of Golden Grahams in one hand and click my mouse with the other. I have to make frequent stops to raise the spoon costing me valuable seconds on the clock. :)

• This is all very confusing can we go back to playing cards please?Happy birthday Gearald my friend and many more.I hope you continue to play on for many years to come.I like the sound of the Golden Grahams.

• For me the most fun is in the playing not in the winning, although I don't deny that it's fun to win, but I especially enjoy the challenge of figuring out little tricks and tips, like Lasso said. I suppose there are some people who have the most fun watching cards fly by at the speed of light so they can post a time of 5 seconds. Not my thing though. Once I win then the game is over and there goes all the fun. :)

• YEAH! 29th place 4 min. 29 sec, What do I win ? Free Cell oops didn't finish in top 25! DILLY ! DILLY !

:)

• I used to play Scorpion all the time until I managed to get into a fast playing rhythm - so practise and undo and try again certainly helps with getting a speedy result. But I found that it can also make the game feel mechanical so I’m taking a break from “The Scorp” and instead trying out games like Addiction and Seahaven Towers ... where I’m probably one of the slowest players on the block :) but I’m enjoying the challenge.

• I am happy to share my "tips" for what they might be worth. But figuring out on own is fun too.

• Free Cell Game #1654292220 9th Place 3:38 B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...