#I'm Hopeless

Hey @Gameguy ...Is there anyway you could post a Deus-like video of you playing Hopeless? I play off and on but never get near the high scores you put up. Don't give away all your secrets, but I'd appreciate a little guidance.

Comments

• Ditto. And i wouldn't turn my nose up at @cyf either. So impressive.

• And @far2old and @szpec and @meka .and JackofHearts...

• I was gonna add an 'et al' to my post...and would welcome anyone putting it out there...but Gameguy has been doing it longest and has the chops.

• JackofHeartsJackofHearts REGISTERED
    edited August 2019 66.138.185.99

Gameguy is JackofHearts. I had my computer die, and could not remember my password and the site doesn't seem to have a password recovery option as far as I could tell. so I created a new name. I am not sure how to make a video for you. I have no secrets that I won't share. The key to Hopeless is to link as much of the first color as you can into one object and play it. Then, link as much of the second color as you can into one object and play it. It is important to get the first two colors like this to get a high score. Three color games are the highest scoring games for some reason. The fewer the plays you have to make to link a color into a single object, the better. Also, sometimes you have to give up a few blocks, instead of linking them to get the highest score. This may be the biggest secret.

• Hey @homedoggy, is that you or a relative pictured? Oh and I get that if it is you, that it is not a recent photo!

• That is my son, Grayson, now 23. I was never that cute.

• Yes, he appears to be laying on the "cute" quite thickly.

• The 'cute' he gets from Mama.
    But the 'thickly' is all homedoggy

• Ha

• speaking of Groucho

• @JackofHearts ...Thank you for your efforts and tutorial, and I practice what your preaching. Whereas my scores have improved, (gone from 10k to 17k ish) they get nowhere near the rarefied air that you guys achieve. I know a lot depends on the deal...the way the boxes are initially arranged...but I must be missing something, hence my request.
    Perhaps @far2old, @szpec or @meka may be able to help.
    Sorry about your computer, and if jim or david read this they may be able to help retrieve your old password.
    You're a HOF either way.

• Don't feel bad homedoggy, I've tried hopeless a few times and don't think my score even registers. But it's sort of like bowling for me, I like to just see how many blocks I can knock down. I also like the pretty colors. Bink

• Well, I like to play whatever the current games are on the board and see how well I can do on them, then I click on new games, but look for ones with potential. I may skip through several before playing one.

One more little tip is that the order of play sometimes makes a difference. For example, there is one high scoring game that I have consistently gotten the highest score on when it comes up that has two critical plays I have to make in a specific order to receive the highest score. If I get them out of order the end result is the same as far as blocks on the screen, but the ultimate score is lower.

• Okay, I can apparently record a video, although the audio doesn't seem to be on, even though I believe I enabled it. I guess if there is a particular game you want to see how I play it give me the number and I will work through it.

• Nahh...whichever game you pick I'm sure we'll learn from.
    Thx.

• I should mention that once I forgot my password and could not get back in, I could not leave a message for the admins. You have to login to do that!

• I like the games where you have to balance two colors. Like leave a few squares off of one string so that another color can be a lot longer. Maybe you could find one of those?

• I could show you game #1451022818 if you would like? It is a high scoring game and Pirracas and I go back and forth on it to go as fast as we can. Maybe then we could move on to other games if everyone knows how to play it.

• I have recorded game #1451022818, but will only post it if people want to see it. If anyone objects and would rather work on that one themselves then I won't post it.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Post it! I want to see it.

• Well, it records the files as MP4s and they are too large to upload. I have to figure out how to reduce their size.

• Well it says uploaded file type is not allowed. What kind of video file can I upload?

• I need to go to work, so I will have to figure this out later. I was able to reduce the MP4, but apparently that is not an allowed file type.

• Hi @JackofHearts one solution maybe to upload the video on youtube and then post a link?

@homedoggy :)

edited September 2019 66.138.185.99

Here is the best solution for game #1451022818

Here is an example of linking more for the first large block, but resulting in a lower score. Notice the eleventh play is an extra step that links more of the color, but results in a lower score.

• Thanks @JackofHearts ...I know that was a lot of work and you went above and beyond.
    This game was ideal for a high score but what are you scoring on a 'regular' game?' I just don't know if I'm going past the point of diminishing return to set up getting the first big block. Since a 'High Score' box doesn't pop up at the end of the game, I don't know how I'm stacking up against the big dogs on any given game.

• I never look at the 'Leader Board' ...but I just did and folks are getting 10-13K on the Game of the Day so I guess I'm in line with that. Thanks again for all the hard work. I sure this will benefit a bunch of folks.

edited September 2019 66.138.185.99

I almost never do the game of the day, and if a score doesn't come up on the leader board I just move on. There is no way to compare anything beyond the leader board since you cannot make a comparative review of the scores. Whatever comes up on the board on a given day is where I generally start and see if I can best them. I often do, but sometimes I just can't figure out the "trick" on some games. I can get certain elements that I am pretty sure have to be a best play, but there can be one element that is the final twist that I could be missing. In the game I am posting it was the order of plays 9 and 10 that got me the high score. If I did the same plays in reverse order, I get the same result on the board at the end but the score was lower.

By playing the games off of the leader board you can easily repeat them, and it takes many attempts sometimes to figure out the path to the high score. Sometimes they just fall into place, but on a first pass, it is rare.

• I just realized that I mentioned the Leader Board, but I was meaning the High Scores of the Day/Week/Month/All Time, not Leader Board.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...