Memorial Day

For those of you in other counties who may not know...but this Monday is Memorial Day in the U.S. A day that has come to mean bar-b-ques, shopping specials, and lounging by the pool. But at it's core, Memorial Day is meant to be a solemn time of remembrance and reflection for those who have sacrificed all for their country. For those of you who have lost a loved one, you have my deepest sympathy. I open this thread to all nations since war is no stranger to any of us... to contemplate those who have given all.
"A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that come with his freedom" Bob Dylan

If you'd like to name your loved one, please do so below.

Comments

• Uncle Willie...WWII
    Cousin Victor...Vietnam

• My father,India,Africa and Burma.

• Father: WWII
    LOML: Vietnam

• Memorial Day back in the forties,in Massachusetts, meant wearing white clothes and shoes until Labor Day. There was a parade, waving flags, band concert,fireworks. It was also known as Decoration Day when people cleaned and decorated the grave
    sites of deceased family members with flowers, plants, etc.
    It also meant getting my hair curled with a curling iron heated on the kitchen stove. What wonderful memories.
    Remembering my parents and sister.

• P.S. to the one above. Here in Florida, we are awaiting for the
    arrival of Alberto, the #1 storm of the 2018 Hurricane Season.
    It's a tropical depression so that means a lot of rain which we have had for the past two weeks. No parades, cookouts, fireworks. White is worn year round. Hope there are parts of this good ole USA that will have good weather.

• For Decoration Day, we wrapped red-white-and-blue crepe paper around the handlebars of our bikes and attached playing cards with clothespins to the spokes of the wheels so it would sound good as we rode around.
    Sympathy and thank you to all of you who lost someone, and best of luck with the tropical storms.

• Evermore, did you ride your decorated bike in the parade ? I remember that was the thing for the kids to do. Another day of
    rain in the Sunshine State. Thanks for your thoughts

• Rowdyone, I don't really remember a parade. We kids just rode up & down the streets in the neighborhood. This was in a Michigan suburb, parades were probably downtown. Nice that you remember it too.
    Too hot in Chicago, mid-90's, total sun.

• Cleaning the grave sites after the long winter, Peonies were ready to bloom. My brother would play "Taps" at local cemetaries, for Memorial services. 3 diff. I think

• Concert to aid Wounded Warrior

• Can't have Memorial Day without some good music by Jimi Hendrix

• My grandfather was a lifer in the Coast Guard. He commanded Attack Transports in both theaters of WWII. His son, my dad, signed up with the Coast Guard when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He had telephone experience. He never left New Jersey. Spent the whole war maintaining cables on the beach. Ya never know. I was born a month and a day before the boys hit the beaches at Normandy.

• Gerald64 -- you got that right! I'm passing it on to others. Also liked Wounded Warrior concert. Sounds just like Vietnam.

• My father fought in Africa and Burma.Never saw him for the first six years of my life.War.

• Happy Memorial Day.

• That really tugs at the heart strings. Happy Memorial Day to you too.

• My Dad (1918 - 1989) - WWII
    Thank You to all who have kept me safe and FREE!

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited May 2020 99.76.46.40

Have a safe and quiet Memorial Day...and remember the COVID-19 victims, please.

• Omdurman, Boer War, Vimy Ridge, Passchendale , El Alamein, Leonforte, Ortona.
    Many other relatives in Korea, one with the PPCLI at Kapyong; the escape from Elizabethville in the Congo ( one of my male family members was with Mike Hoare)
    English Army and Canadian Army from 1786 until today, 8 generations.

• madamclerkmadamclerk REGISTERED
    edited May 2020 97.90.98.178

Now is the time to honor those who have given their lives for our country, democracy, and for our freedom by remembering and reflecting on just what it was they sacrificed themselves for. We must take heart the words of Benjamin Franklin when he said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

• That last video was a bit harsh and too blunt, especially for us mothers.

• ....sorry, I should say, only my opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...