I’m wondering how it‘s possible to finish a game with 108 moves in 48 seconds???

Game: freecell
Game #: 551317703
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0.1 Safari/605.1.15
Window: 1024x633
JS-Version: 2021-07-01_21:53:26_-0700_073f291b2e50363b317f3b2317168846c20d766a

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:

Comments

• Go to frequently asked questions. There you may find your answers. Greenfelt.net is a great place, don't you agree?

• if u think 48 seconds is fast, wait 'til u see the vids of 3bc and Deus knockin' it out in less than 5!!! they're waitin' for u in FAQs

• this is to trumpisaclown you are a liberal POS

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited December 2021 99.76.46.40

One of these posts is not like the others.

• tanman...relax and breathe deeply and remember that anything you say is mostly just your opinion. Play nice. :)

• To take as long as 48 seconds, you really have to pace yourself. Maybe pause for a sip of tea or to check your email.
    I, too, object to referring to our disgraced, twice impeached, soundly and fairly defeated former president as a clown. That’s an unconscionable insult to clowns everywhere. Although given his absurd hair and makeup, I can understand the confusion.

• DeusExMachina, so good to see you post! Hope all is well with you and yours.

• Thanks @gmaterre. All's well here. I've been spending lots of quality time at my lathe, turning wooden bowls, so less time in Greenfeltia.

• Wow, Deus. Really nice.

• Great work. Are you going to sell them? I'd buy it.

• Nah, I give away everything I make (except the ones that aren't good enough for gifts, or an occasional piece that turns out so nice that I can't bear to part with it). The one above went to a friend of a friend who gave me a whole oak tree! Selling would take some of the joy out of the hobby--make it feel more like work.

• That's a beautiful bowl, @DeusExMachina !

• Multi-talented @DeusExMachina ! 🙂

• nice wood work @DeusExMachina. Beautiful the way you get the grain showing.

• That is phenomenal!

• my son did woodturning in his very early years and did some wonderful stuff. good on you. !

• Getting this back to the original question, it is NOT possible to achieve that many moves in so short of a time, they are NOT doing it, the computer is! In ANY competition there will always be some who do whatever it takes to win. This is no exception. Their name has to be in first, and if they plod along and do it mentally like the game was meant to be played (ie you have to stay sharp to not miss any moves), they might not be first. So...let the computer do it, then they can proudly think they are the fastest!! Sad actually, computer generated moves should not be allowed. I played quite a bit as anonymous before I joined up, showing family members the many games and trying to get them signed up is fruitless, they laugh at the fast times and say it is bogus, which I have to agree with.

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    edited January 2022 104.33.68.133

Hi @imissmymom,

Thanks for sharing Green Felt! We designed the site to have very a efficient play style that can remove the drudgery of finding a solution. It’s clear that people memorize their solution, and replay it quickly using these techniques to get the fastest times, but the techniques themselves are quite fun to master and provide, I feel, a unique interface for efficiently solving the games. You can think of it like having a junior intern that follows your lead, but can do so faster than you could yourself. You still need to guide them, but together you make a great team!

Have fun,
    -@jim

• @jim nicely written

• DeusExMachinaDeusExMachina REGISTERED
    edited January 2022 73.66.191.142

So @imissmymom, by your logic, the only type of race that’s legitimate is a human on foot. The jockey is cheating in horse racing, and the driver is cheating in automobile racing.
    Those of us who enjoy seeing how fast we can complete a game are using the features that Jim and David, in their infinite wisdom, built into the site. If you choose to condemn those features and the people who are good at employing them, have yourself a judgmental ball!

But you would do well in life to not pretend that you know the motives of any other person, particularly complete strangers. That’s a handy conceit that lets you feel superior to others in much the same way that you’re accusing us of cheating at a silly game of solitaire.

• I am not fast, and I don't play for competition -- just to relax awhile. BUT I can appreciate those who DO go fast. It seems to me that the competition comes from understanding the game enough to figure out what moves to make rather than the actual moving. It's like paying the mechanic -- you pay him for his expertise in diagnosing the problem. If he couldn't figure what was wrong, he'd never get it fixed.

• Thanks for the reply Jim. I understand now why you provide the computer assist, however (not that I am trying to add to your work load!!!) perhaps a separate score board showing only manual scores to those who play manually and computer assist scores to those who use the computers. Then we would have an apples to apples comparison.
    DeusExMachina I am sorry I do not see your logic... both with your racing analogy as well as your statement that I am conceited. Far from it. In fact, it was how often I miss seeing cards and combinations and thus getting a poor time or low score (that the computer would have caught) that caused me to post my answer to the original poster of this thread. I am well aware of how fallible I (we) are as humans, and frankly that is the point of these games: can we use our intellect and mental sharpness to solve them? If you want to use the computer to take that all out of it go ahead and I hope you have fun. But I stand by my answer to the OP: It is NOT possible for a human to finish a game that fast. THEY are not doing it...the computer is.

• Hi @imissmymum by your logic you should be playing on a table with a deck of cards rather than tapping away on your computer using a games program with its inbuilt rules forbidding you from placing cards where ever you fancy. Also, computers are ‘doing it’ suggests some alien force behind the screen. Are you motivated to complain by wanting to be higher up on the scoreboard and confine the rules to enable you and disadvantage others? I think you are probably missing the point that expertise is required to use the super moves provided by the creators of this site. The scoreboard reflects this level of skill.

But you are not alone in your bafflement, which is why there are explanations and videos on display in the Solitaire section of the Frequently Asked Questions link: https://greenfelt.net/faq

• Thank you, @fingsaint.

Beautiful workmanship, @DeusExMachina.

• @imissmymom

"they are NOT doing it, the computer is!"
    "computer generated moves should not be allowed"
    The players click or tap to make the computer "generate" the moves executing the code written by the game's programmer. People who don't like computer generated moves don't use a computer.

"it is NOT possible to achieve that many moves in so short of a time"
    And pigs fly over the flat earth. So those fast times generated by the computer are just bogus - or maybe miracles.

Btw, fast times are the result of
    1) low number of clicks/taps needed to execute the game and
    2) high speed of the execution of those clicks/taps.
    Both of which have no direct connection with the number of moves...

• DeusExMachinaDeusExMachina REGISTERED
    edited January 2022 73.66.191.142

@imissmymom: My reference to conceit was specifically and exclusively related to your assumptions that you know other players' motives:

• "there will always be some who do whatever it takes to win."
    • "Their name has to be in first"
    • "So...let the computer do it, then they can proudly think they are the fastest!!"

Statements like those are based on presumptions about other people's motivations. From those assumptions you are drawing conclusions about the other individuals' values and character--and your judgments are not favorable. Add in your assertion that your way of playing is "the game was meant to be played," and I stand by my assessment that your first post reflects "a handy conceit that lets you feel superior to others."
    In general, I enjoy playing Freecell for speed. Since almost every game is winnable, I find little challenge in simply completing a game, so I'd get bored with playing at a leisurely pace. With the exception of the Game of the Day, I almost never play a game more than once. But with the GotD, I enjoy the challenge of _improving _my time. It's a double challenge: (a) finding a more efficient solution--the fewest number of taps, or sometimes the easiest series to execute, and (b) developing the muscle memory to execute those moves as quickly as possible. The latter is a bit like practicing a piece of music to play it more quickly and fluidly. Along the way, for each game I basically set a target time, like "I bet I can get this one down to 6 seconds." Achieving that target gives me a wee sense of accomplishment. My times are typically fast enough to land me in second or third place on the leaders board, but that doesn't really matter to me. I know that only a small handful of players are practicing the GotD to improve their time; it would be ludicrous to take some kind pride in booking a faster time than all the people who aren't even interested in competing.
    I'm intrigued by a couple of statements you made about alluding to a right way to play. [e.g., "plod along and do it mentally like the game was meant to be played (ie you have to stay sharp to not miss any moves)"]. Are you at least open to the idea that there are various ways to approach playing these games, each with it's own challenges? And that none of them is "right." I have great respect for those who are good at minimizing the number of moves. I've tried that style of play and made almost no improvement, so I appreciate the skill they've developed.
    Finally, regarding your request for "a separate score board showing only manual scores," where would you draw the line? Clearly super moves that move multiple cards around the board would be excluded. But what about tapping a blank spot to send exposed cards to the suit home pile? Doesn't simply tapping a single card to move it to another pile count as "computer assist"? To put it another way, would "manual scores" be limited to clicking and dragging a single card from one position to another?

• Isn't using a computer and not a deck of cards cheating by your definition @imissmymom? Totally manually would be a deck of cards and a table. No need for any technology.

• I like the thinking-it-through process of using super moves. Took me a while to catch on to how to use. Now, it is satisfying when I can figure out how to use 1 super move vs 5 or 6 tap, taps. I'll never be fast, time-wise, but I do pretty good on 'moves.' Super moves are a byproduct of technology. Of course you couldn't do it with a deck of cards. So goes the world.

• imissmymomimissmymom REGISTERED
    edited January 2022 24.101.215.129

Ok I get it now. Guess I will download a Van Gogh print from an online photo, print it out via computer and enter it in an amateur painting contest! Sigh......well, I guess I go back to playing anonymously!!! Cheers to all!

• analogy does not compute

• Man, if I could just figure out how to use super moves - I could be super awesome woo !!!

• I want some for spider. lol

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited February 2022 99.76.46.40

So, click on the Rules above the game of Spider and you see this:

Spider

Spider is a solitaire card game. It is one of the more popular two-deck solitaire games and, while difficult, the majority of games can be won. The game is also said to have been a particular favourite of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
    The object of the games is to remove all suits, assembling them in the tableau before removing them. Initially, 54 cards are dealt to the tableau in ten piles, face down except for the top cards. The tableau piles build down by rank, and in-suit sequences can be moved together. The 50 remaining cards can be dealt to the tableau ten at a time when none of the piles are empty.

Keyboard play
    Mouse play
    Super Moves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...