Is it just MY brain that's bad?

CindyinSeattleCindyinSeattle REGISTERED
edited July 2021 in Bug Reports 73.109.53.164

I used to play Freecell and Pyramid incessantly, thousands of games over time. I loved them; I didn't need anything else. And then one day I read a post about Yukon. So I gave it a whirl. It took me a while to figure out the basics but I got hooked and now I play Yukon exclusively and somewhat obsessively.

Every now and again I'll click on Freecell or Pyramid and my mind is completely blank. It's as if I never played a single game of either one. I know I could look up the rules, but damn, how did all of that practice just disappear from my brain? Shouldn't it be like riding a bicycle?

The exception is Nonograms; I can always remember how to do those. And Klondike. I just tried and I could still play.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited July 2021 99.76.46.40

This seems more like a discussion, than a bug report.

But in answer to your question, I am now terrible at Flower Garden, a game I won a lot. But I think refreshing with the rules and practicing again-might get me back on track.

I play triple yukon on another site and never lose, but now I have to think before I play Yukon here. And really plan moves. .

• homedoggyhomedoggy REGISTERED
    edited July 2021 75.170.203.176

I used to play Calculation but not so much lately. The game requires a specific strategy in order to play and score well. I'm sure I would be lost if I tried to play it now. At my pace (maybe an hour each day) I think it would take a week to get back into fighting form.

Other games might be more intuitive to a player and therefor easier to pick back up after a time away. I could plat Hopeless as well today as I ever did.

I'm sure you would pick up your style of play much more quickly were you to play Freecell or Pyramid exclusively simply because you have already figured the game out. You just have to remember what those strategies were.

Have fun

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

I suspect your skill would come back fairly quickly if you started playing daily, but why fight the boredom. Personally, I’d suggest spider (four suit). You’ll get none of the speedsters, like @3bc, because the games are too long to memorize. It takes quite a bit of undo to win.

Thanks for a non-complaint post!

Cheers,
    -@jim

• Oops, I posted this under Bugs, but the only glitch appears to be in my brain. :)

• @CindyinSeattle same thing with me; used to play Klondike & FreeCell - usually in top 10%. Changed to Forty Thieves and Seahaven Towers. Go back to FreeCell once in a while and brain is molasses. Have fun playing.

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited July 2021 99.76.46.40

Thanks for this thread-you got me playing "Flower Garden" again, @CindyinSeattle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...