Spider high scores

goodrobhuntinggoodrobhunting REGISTERED
edited October 2006 in Bug Reports
When I play spider, I don't capture the last stack of cards, because the game bugs out, which is fine. When I hit GIVE UP to try to submit my score, it never submits. I thought this must be because the longer a game takes the longer it takes for the site to compute the time/score/whatever, so I tried leaving the site up for a half hour or so, only to come back with the game still not showing up on the high score sheet.

I'm not that worked up about my high score not being on there, but I would like for it to show up every now and then when I work hard to finish a game of the day :P

-Rob

Comments

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    When I play spider, I don't capture the last stack of cards, because the game bugs out, which is fine.
    What do you mean by "bugs out"? Do you mean a card gets stuck to the mouse? Did you see any errors printed on the bottom of the screen?
    When I hit GIVE UP to try to submit my score, it never submits. I thought this must be because the longer a game takes the longer it takes for the site to compute the time/score/whatever, so I tried leaving the site up for a half hour or so, only to come back with the game still not showing up on the high score sheet.
    The browser has to send a little more data for a longer game, but it shouldn't be noticlable.
    I'm not that worked up about my high score not being on there, but I would like for it to show up every now and then when I work hard to finish a game of the day :P
    It shows up for me every time execpt when I get the "card stuck to the mouse" bug. Then sometimes it won't send the stats. Other than that, if it doesn't work it's a bug. Given how hard I have to work to get any spider score at all, I understand your pain. Let us know more so we can fix the problem.

-Jim

BTW, Is it possible that you haven't re-loaded the page for over a week?
  • right, the last stack of cards gets stuck to the mouse when try to double-click it. I assume this probably has to do with the fact that I'm using an older version of Internet Explorer on my computer at work, but there is a strict no-downloading policy here, so I'm leery about getting a newer version.
  • jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    right, the last stack of cards gets stuck to the mouse when try to double-click it. I assume this probably has to do with the fact that I'm using an older version of Internet Explorer on my computer at work, but there is a strict no-downloading policy here, so I'm leery about getting a newer version.
    I don't think it's your browser since I've seen the same bug with Firefox. I haven't been able to repeat it reliably enough to fix it. Check your Javascript Console for errors next time to see if there are any from greenfelt and post them here so we can try and find the problem. Also you might try using the key sequence for undo (Ctrl-Z) when it happens to try and unstick the card.

-Jim
  • Ok I tried it out again today. I got to the final two piles of cards and tried double-clicking one and then giving up, and the score never made it to the high score board.

then, I tried to double-click the final pile of cards, but the pile immediately got stuck on my mouse. when i leave the cursor still, the pile jumps back up to the finished pile at the top, but if i move the mouse again, the pile gets stuck on my cursor again. the high score does not register.

I tried using ctrl+z to undo, and the 2nd to last pile was taken down from the finished pile, but the last pile of cards was still stuck to my cursor.

i got the 'error on page' thing and here's what it said:

Line: 230
    Char: 9
    Unspecified Error
    Code: 0

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, as im not too good with debug stuff. If it's not, hit me up again and ill try whatever out.
  • daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    Ok I tried it out again today. I got to the final two piles of cards and tried double-clicking one and then giving up, and the score never made it to the high score board.
    Is your network connectivity bad, or do you have a nice solid connection? We have a couple known issues that pop up when the network is acting up.
    then, I tried to double-click the final pile of cards, but the pile immediately got stuck on my mouse. when i leave the cursor still, the pile jumps back up to the finished pile at the top, but if i move the mouse again, the pile gets stuck on my cursor again. the high score does not register.
    Is this when the "error on page" dialog appeared, or was it after you tried the undo trick?
    Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, as im not too good with debug stuff. If it's not, hit me up again and ill try whatever out.
    That is exactly what we are looking for, though sadly internet explorer is a little light on the error reporting details.

One question: Does the cards sticking happen 100% of the time in spider? If not, what percentage would you say it happens?

-David
  • 1. No, my network is 100% reliable

2. I don't know if this is when the error dialogue appeared... i'll play around with it today

3. yes, the card sticking problem happens every time i finish a game

update: the error message does not appear until i double-click the last stack
  • hrm ive found that when I submit a score after only finishing one pile, the score will register
    3. yes, the card sticking problem happens every time i finish a game
    I've been playing around with IE trying to get it to fail but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. You said it was an older version of IE that was failing... Can you post the version number (Go to the "Help" menu then "About Internet Explorer")? Maybe I can find out how to install an older version on my computer to figure this out.

-David
  • Sure, the version of Internet Explorer I am using is:

6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.050622-1524
    update version SP2

I just checked, and it looks like this version of IE was new until a week or so ago, so I'm not sure.
  • Ok... I tried a few other things. I'm sure almost all of them are of little value, but I figured I would post them.

1. Submitted before the final round of cards w/ no high score (error message came up)

2. Tried to replay game, but new cards didn't show up. I couldn't move any of the stacks from the previous game, so I don't think the image of the new game registered. When I hit Undo, I was able again to move the cards from the first game.

I also tried playing at home where I have version 1.something of Firefox on two different computers. I'll have to check the versions on each. With one of the computers, the last stack stuck to the mouse, and with the other, the game completed and the score submitted fine. I'll check out the versions of both those browsers.

I'm thinking the problem could be with the security settings of the networks and/or computers I am working on. My computer at work has a very high level of security, as do my computers at home.

Anyway, didn't know if any of this might be valuable.

Take it easy,
    Rob
    I also tried playing at home where I have version 1.something of Firefox on two different computers. I'll have to check the versions on each. With one of the computers, the last stack stuck to the mouse, and with the other, the game completed and the score submitted fine. I'll check out the versions of both those browsers.
    It is very good if you can reproduce the problem with Firefox since it has much better error reporting than IE. In the tools menu is "Javascript Console" (or if you have Firefox 2.0 they changed it to "Error console"). Open that and clear it (clear icon in the toolbar). Play a game and get the cards to stick and then copy and paste any errors that you get here. You might get a lot of warnings--you can ignore those. Only the errors matter.

You might try putting -1 in the game number box. It'll give you a game that's pretty easy to pass. :-)
    Anyway, didn't know if any of this might be valuable.
    Definitely. Thanks a lot!

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...