That was a long one

Nearly 3 hours without Greenfelt.

Comments

• I was getting nervous.....

• @zudensternen, "That was a long one" ??? Please be a little more specific in the title of your next posting 🌝.
    Really, 219 "members" checked in to see what was so long.

• SageSage REGISTERED
    edited August 4 45.74.116.170

@anglais Face palm... :p :D

• @sage...I'm missing something...Face palm means ???

• Well,well.I missed that.......been watching the Olympics since last Friday.Play on! Play on! Have a nice game every body.Now back to the games.Back in a weeks time.

• @anglais the art of the clickbait headline.

• SageSage REGISTERED
    edited August 5 45.74.116.170

@anglais I was trying to show embarrassment and laughter, at your comment, at the same time.

Face palm examples: https://giphy.com/explore/facepalm

• I think I get your meaning. Sort of "Oh my god!!!" or "You can't be serious???" both expressions said with a bit of a wry smile because of an unmentioned subject matter.

Checked out your examples of facepalm...liked the Luc Picard one...Panda wasn't bad either but seemed to be rolling with laughter more than anything else.

I think that @zudensternen is trying to get away with something here..."Art of clickbait headline"..my u'm....goodnes. Have never heard of such a thing, have you @Sage? Well, we will see what he comes up with next time.

• @zudensternen so you took a 3 hour nap?

• SageSage REGISTERED
    edited August 6 45.74.116.170

@anglais Definitely with a wry smile... and yes, it might possibly be a clickbait headline but most of us wouldn't have noticed it as such if you hadn't mentioned it. I do laud your sense of humour, though, because it's started one of the liveliest chats we've had here, on Green Felt, for some time,

Thanks also to @zudensternen :)

• well, well,well...learn something new every day on this site.
    Thank you @zudensternen for the lesson on clickbait headlines...here we call it a "double entendre" or multiple meanings...interesting.
    @Sage...glad you found it a lively chat and may I add interesting. I also enjoyed it also.

• zudensternenzudensternen REGISTERED
    edited August 8 97.127.12.252

@jazzbelle Not me, the site took a 3 hour nap.

And now it's not storing my wins, for the last 14 hours or so... a message after a won game says "Error!" and it will be stored when maintenance is complete. Is it actually maintenance or just part of the infrastructure that's down, @jim & @david?

• Talk about Bitching if hung with a new rope. It says "it will post your games" J&D put together a sweet intervention so we all could play when work was being done on the computers and you question it. Get a life and PLAY ON

• AND it's ALL BETTER as of this morning - Have a nice day and PLAY ON

• geez ptown, calm down, u sound like ur on a drunken rant .. .. .. oh, and btw, whats with the "bad words"? roflmfao

• PtownpapaPtownpapa REGISTERED
    edited August 8 174.84.187.125

You responded to the latest "Offensive player name" post - check your response

I know, I over reacted - but the post insinuated J&D were being "unkind" - Did Qzudensternen even read the screen?

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

@zudensternen, A little of column A, a little of column B :smile:. The message says "maintenance" because the code can't tell the difference between "unintentionally down" and "intentionally down" and usually it's the latter. This time it was the former because we ran out of disk space (oops). Then it became the latter while I cobbled together some extra space to get things back up quickly. Now that's it's up we've got some time to get a permanent solution going (in the form of some new bigger hard drives).

• @david Thanks. i appreciate so much the work you guys do to support our solitaire habits. Wish you would let us help with the infrastructure costs. Can't be cheap.

• @david thanks for keeping Green Felt up and running 👍 I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put in to keep us players happy.

Btw, layman’s question : the other day you posted some stats that showed that billions of games had been played. Do you store all that data? you prefer not to dump it in a/the Cloud? which is fair enough …just curious

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Yeah, we've stored every game played since 2005 in the database—It's quite big now (about 14TB). Putting in an AWS/Azure/Google cloud managed database would be extremely expensive (on the order of multiple thousands per month)—they charge quite a lot for storage. They do have different kinds of databases for massive datasets, but those aren't really tuned for doing our kind of queries for the high scores, would lock us into their proprietary stuff, and/or require loads of changes in our code. Even then, they're still quite expensive.

In the end it's just much cheaper (and simpler) for us to run our database on our own hardware.

• Ah ok, that makes sense. I didn’t realise the high cost involved in cloud management … the big players always make a fortune 🤑
    Thanks for the reply @david

• we've stored every game played <<

Curious: how many games have been played, compared to the universe of possible games?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...