When trying to do a super move, sometimes only the tapped card plays.

Game: freecell
Game #: 298318296
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/68.0.3440.106 Safari/537.36
JS-Version: 2018-08-04_02:34:23_-0700_59d84682269ca6201aa0c72d064e0f4b74c902d4

If (a) a super move is in progress when you tap a card in the middle of a stack, (b) the tapped card can play up to a suit pile, and (c) the cards above the tapped one can auto-play in a new super move, then sometimes only the tapped card moves; the rest of the stack does not auto-play.

Here's a video showing this:

Comments

• I don't have an answer to your question, but I have to say how impressed I am! I get excited when I accidentally stumble upon a super move. If you are skilled enough to actually set them up, one after another, then my hat is totally off to you. :)

• DeusExMachinaDeusExMachina REGISTERED
    edited August 2018 192.150.10.210

Two tips re: super moves:
    1. to start a game, try tapping the top card in stack. If all the cards fly somewhere, make a mental note of how it plays out--mainly how many freecells are consumed and whether most of them can be played back down right away. Then reset and try the next one. Once you've tested all the stacks, pick the one that yielded the most promising opening gambit and start playing for real. (I generally bother with this only for the Game of the Day or occasionally for other game where I took way longer than the fastest scores and I'm curious how others beat it so fast.)
    3. look for a set of moves early in the game that leaves you with at least one column and a couple of free cells empty, then hunt for super moves that play an entire stack. Super moves are at their most super-est when they play a whole stack because then you necessarily end up with an empty column, and thereby you have a better shot at stringing a series of super moves together.

It's a totally different way of playing than when you're hunting for individual cards, or runs of cards, to move. When I'm playing that way, looking for discrete plays, I rarely stumble on super moves. You have to be actively looking for them. I find each mode of play engaging in its own way.

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    edited August 2018 104.33.90.133

Thanks, @DeusExMachina, for the terrific bug report! I was able to reproduce the problem thanks to your helpful video! I had to use a slow iPad to be able to press auto-play (clicking next to the 5♦) and 5♦ itself quick enough in succession to catch it. I wasn't able to do it on a laptop (with a trackpad).

It doesn't surprise me to hear we have a bug when a previous (super-)move is animating; we've had these in the past. I'll take a look and see if I can find the problem.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions as well. Those, and the video itself, should help other players understand how someone can finish a Freecell game so quickly. We've been meaning to make such a video for a long time.

edited September 2018 104.33.90.133

I believe this is fixed this now.

Thanks again for your report @DeusExMachina!

edited September 2018 104.33.90.133

Your description was right on @DeusExMachina. We separate the super-move on the 5♦ into two parts, the first part when click down (and the 6♥, K♦, 9♣, 4♥ get out of the way) and when you let up (and the 5♦ moves up to the foundation). The bug was that the auto-play code would run in between the down and up and decide to move the 5♦, but before doing so it would cancel the down (moving the 4♥ , 9♣, K♦, 6♥ back to where they were) and, having decided to move the 5♦, would move it anyway (even though after the cancel this was no longer a valid move). Ouch.

I'm sure lots of people have been hitting this and getting into crazy states, but we never had a good enough bug report to be able to diagnose it.

The fix I chose was to avoid running any auto-play moves while a drag (a down) was in progress. This will allows the up to eventually happen and then we just might continue to run auto-play and move more cards (in this case we end up auto-playing the 6♥ up from the 7♠ after the 5♦ move has finished).

You might find it odd that you are allowed to make moves in the middle of auto-play, but we wanted to be able to click auto-play when most of the cards were in order except for say one pair which we could "fix" while auto-play was going on and still have the auto-play keep on playing and finish up the game. We are not wedded to this, but it is fun when it works.

• I understand none of this, but bizarrely I enjoy reading it

greenfelt poetry B)

• Excellent. Thanks for the fix, Jim!

• I'm with you fingsaint!
    Love the "greenbelt poetry"...

• You did indeed nail this bug, Jim. Great fix! Super moves have performed flawlessly for me over the past few days. Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...