Can all Hopeless games be won?

Don't care about scoring, but I am very happy when I win one. Are all games winnable--i.e. all the blocks be vaporized?

Comments

• No, I believe there are some games that cannot be completely cleared. In fact there are some games that get the highest scores without clearing the board, although you said you do not care about the score.

• Thanks JackofHearts. You are the expert !! Can you tell at the beginning of a game which ones can and which ones cannot?

• P.S. How is scoring done?

• DeusExMachinaDeusExMachina REGISTERED
    edited May 2020 99.49.195.50

The scoring formula varies depending on number of colors you're playing. With the 3-Color game, for any given set of blocks is [number of blocks] squared * 3.
    This means that the value of each additional block increases. A group of 10 blocks scores 300 points, which is 57 points higher than 9 blocks. A group of 90 scores 24,300 points, which is 537 higher than 89.

• Thank you @YofHollywood for the question and @JackofHearts and @DeusExMachina for taking the time to explain...but why is a one color game only worth 800 points?
    Tounge in cheek of course, but you would think a single block like that would break the bank.

• Thank you all for explaining this game to me.

• JackofHeartsJackofHearts REGISTERED
    edited May 2020 66.138.185.99

If you look at the board before making a play and you can visualize what will take place you might identify a block that no matter how you choose to play you will not be able to link to another block. That would be a game that will never be cleared completely. I see this once in awhile, but I play for score so I am always looking for large groups of blocks already connected that will minimize the number of plays I will need to make to join them with others of the color so that there could be more possibility of points on the second and third colors I join together.

Also, I cannot for the life of me even understand why there is a single color game, except maybe that it was easier to code and would require the multiple combos by an incremental assignment in the code and would require extra code to exclude it.

• Agreed.

• Single colour code games are one of the few times I get on the leader board for playing Hopeless :D

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

There's a reason it's named "hopeless". :smile:

• Agreed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...