40 thieves

AnonymousAnonymous GUESTS
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
I have just started playing this game--is it really possible to beat? I wish you had a "tips" forum or button. Learners need to see how it might be done.

Comments

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    cappie wrote:
    I have just started playing this game--is it really possible to beat? I wish you had a "tips" forum or button. Learners need to see how it might be done.

I've only won 40 Thieves a few times myself, so I can't offer any specific advice other than learn to use the undo button/key! I also suggest playing the game of the day (each day we pick a random shuffle for everyone to play so they can compare their results) so you can check to see how many people have passed that particular shuffle. Click on the "High Score" button and you'll usually see that the top 10 people have all passed!

Maybe a regular player can offer some advice for getting started?

-Jim
  • jim wrote:
    cappie wrote:

I've only won 40 Thieves a few times myself, so I can't offer any specific advice other than learn to use the undo button/key! I also suggest playing the game of the day (each day we pick a random shuffle for everyone to play so they can compare their results) so you can check to see how many people have passed that particular shuffle. Click on the "High Score" button and you'll usually see that the top 10 people have all passed!

Maybe a regular player can offer some advice for getting started?

-Jim

Hi Cappie, I usually play every day, and the first thing I do is check the leader board. If a lot of players have completed the game (giving a score of 104) it will usually mean that it is a straightforward game, and I try to use speed rather than tactical play. I also use the undo button a lot. If the QHearts , 10Hearts and 9Hearts are on the bottom piles, I will first check the cards at the back to see if either of the JHearts are 'trapped'. If neither are 'trapped' I will play until the JHearts is available, then I will move the 10 and 9 after that. 40 Thieves is definately one of the more difficult games, but it is great to beat it :D It is always helpful to try to remember which cards have passed, as when a cell becomes free, you can judge whether to bring a card down from the stockpile, or to move one from the other columns. Hope this helps, Good Luck!
    NRG
  • Thanks I suppose it should help but I am still such a newbie to this game that it doesn't really. If a 2nd run thru was allowed it might work but anything passed is gone so I don't see the strategy.

I have seen that there are alternate rules for 40 theives which allow alternate color build down. I will try this out with a deck cards to see. I wish this alternate rule version was available also.

cap
  • jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    cappie wrote:
    If a 2nd run thru was allowed it might work but anything passed is gone so I don't see the strategy.

I have seen that there are alternate rules for 40 theives which allow alternate color build down. I will try this out with a deck cards to see. I wish this alternate rule version was available also.

We've been trying to avoid too many different game variants, rather we just pick the hardest one and stick to it. Keep at it, you'll get it.

Spider is another game where we only have the hard version. The games are long, but they're fulfilling when you win!

If enough people want the easier versions we'll add them, but in general we'd rather challenge you than bore you!

What we'd really like to do is to keep giving you harder and harder shuffles until you can't win then give you easier ones, etc. That way they game would adapt to your abilities. One day...

-Jim
  • I don't think this game is just difficult, I think that without an extraordinary amount of luck in the set up of the cards, it is impossible. No amount of skill can overcome the passing of needed cards into the waste pile.

The closest I've ever come is 4 stacks of Ace to King & that was PURE luck along with a tiny bit of skill.
  • Hi,

Don't give up on 40 Thieves - it is a difficult game, but once you learn to play it, I think you will enjoy it.

My advice is to try to get the Aces out first and try to get an empty column. Be careful not to pile too many cards up in a row because then you get them stuck and are unable to move them. The empty column is key because then you are able to start moving the cards around - and you can also go back through the discard pile and pull cards back into the game. Be very careful about blocking cards in. Remember that because there are 2 decks, if you need a specific card and it is blocked there is another one some where. Similarly, be careful about blocking 2 of the same cards.

Go to the Leaderboard and play the game from about 3 or 4 days ago (Feb. 22 I believe) - everyone has a score of 104. It is likely one of the easiest 40 Thieves games I have ever played.

I also like the idea of having a tips area to help each other out. For example, i could use some hints for Spider.
  • How can you get the aces out first if you can only move the exposed bottom card on the build down pile? If you could move more than one card, as some alternate rules allow, it would be possible but other that I don't see it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...