Solitaire League

Here is what I had envisioned
1) captains are selected as well as a unaffiliated commissioner and secretary
2) a draft night is held from a pool of players who have signed up. Teams would be 8 players but 4 players are needed on league nights. A team would forfeit the match if 4 players aren't available. I think 7 teams max with 6 teams paired up and playing each week. The 7th team would have an 'off' night.
3) four players would be put up by each team. Each pair of players would be sent a game number of (lets say) Freecell, by the commissioner and when they have completed the game a screenshot would be sent to the secretary and results posted. Another 4 player lineup is exchanged and these 4 players would play (say) Seahaven. Results again posted. Then a round of doubles in which 2 sets of 2 players from each team would play head to head. Singles would count as 1 point for the best score. Doubles count as 2 points, for a total of 16 points.
4) if the match ends in a tie, four players would be put up by each team for one game. Best average score wins the match.
5) after 7 weeks...each team has played each other...and the playoffs start with the highest ranked team playing the lowest ranked team and so on.

Comments

• Two rounds of doubles...1 Freecell, ! Seahaven
    Tie breaker round should be a third game...(say) Addiction

• Go to" It'syourturn.com". See tournament games

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Jim and I have discussed things like this. Not quite the team game that you are envisioning though. Funnily, I was just thinking about this yesterday.

In the back of my mind I've wanted "live" games, analogous to the way multiplayer video games work. If you want to compete in a live tournament, you'd join the tournament lobby. When there's enough people for a game, the game will start. It'll show you all the same deal of cards and start all the games at the same time. Then you'd play normally, except that "restart" wouldn't start your time over. When you win or you've clicked "Give Up" then your final time is computed and submitted.

The idea is that this levels the playing field, and more fairly tests players ability to solve a game. Also we'd either disallow people to post scores for that game if they didn't start in the tournament with everyone else, or maybe segregate the scores so it's clear which ones were "official" and which ones were "fun" games after the fact.

Your team idea sounds cool. The way team video games I've played work is similar to what I've envisioned for single player tournaments—you go into the lobby and wait for a tournament, then get assigned teams randomly out of the available people. Or, you can group up in the lobby and wait for a game where your group can all be on the same team. I think that combined with your team play idea could work and be interesting.

• fingsaintfingsaint REGISTERED
    edited June 2018 49.192.2.120

I’d like to pitch for the Green Felt tournament t-shirts and assorted merchandise franchise ;)

• fingsaintfingsaint REGISTERED
    edited June 2018 49.192.2.120

o:)

• I'm not in love with the 'draft' idea and wouldn't mind if teams formed naturally based on friendships or interests in tiddly winks or whatever ...as long as @jabba and @lasso don't stack one team. The idea is to form relationships while at the same time...give the competitive folks something to do. Somebody else is gonna have to figure out the logistics, but we already have the capacity to send messages to multiple people at once.

• LOL, probably wouldn't happen. My guess is lasso wants to beat me not join me.

• Yeah @jabba... it doesn't look like the idea is gaining any traction...no biggie.
    But now that you've challenged @lasso.....

• Homedoggy...While I think that some type of league play would be fun for some players I think it needs to be kept really simple and some how on an even playing level. How that could be done...IDK! As far as myself (and I think there are many others) I can't complete against people such as Lasso, Jabba, Sage and the many others that regularly occupy the top 10...I would be honestly...HUMILIATED! :| :'( :s

I play mainly Scorpion. I do fairly well on the regular games. There are several people that regularly play and we seem to bounce back and forth on high scores. However...after I play a game I never go back and check to see if anyone has beaten my score.

Maybe I am not understanding your vision (that happens a lot with me) but it was a little complicated for me. However...I am just all in to simple or at least that is all my little brain can understand.

Oh...and what would you do about those "cheaters"? You know those that practice and use shortcuts. According to the posts here you know we have a lot of them...those that make 2,728,920,426 moves in less that 5 seconds??? It's true you know...I read it on the internet!

• I would be interested to know how fast Jabba, and the rest of the leader board elite do on their first time looking at a layout. I think of myself as a pretty good Seahaven Towers player, but I never replay to see how fast I can achieve. That's why I like Green Felt" Dave's idea.

• Sometimes I think about replaying a game especially if my score is very low. I am sometimes curious what move I missed that would have raised my score. However...after playing these games for a few years I have come to realize that I enjoy them more when I don't worry about scores or times. I rarely even know if I am playing the game of the day until the end when I get my score. Then I think...guess I should have played a little faster...then say "Oh well".

• I only play the game of the day to limit how much time I spend here. The leader board is how I keep track, and when I struggle with a difficult board, it's how I remember which game I need to go back to. That's the one and only reason I miss the leader board B^)

• Good feedback @Nan01 and @dbwoerner
    The whole idea of a team concept is to insure that one terrific player could not dominate as they would in any kind of round robin type tournament. A very highly ranked player would only play two singles games in any given match. Also...I think these players would admit, sometimes the high scores come from the 2nd or 3rd time they play a game. In the league, the 2 players (one from each team) would be sent a game number that both would have to play AND turn in their screenshot within a decided amount of time (say 3 minutes) so this eliminates the time needed to replay a game. 'Auto finish' is a tool available to everyone...
    A lot of this comes into play with the captains strategy. "Do I put my big gun against their big gun?...or do I put up a weaker player and save my big gun for later?".

• I don't play over and over to get high times. The only time I will try more than once is if I don't get the game out or someone gets further than me and I then know I need to work harder to achieve that or possibly better. If you were bored and felt the urge you could look at the time stamps, usually I just go through the easy ones one after the other then move onto the harder ones which take longer. This shows up in the times/time difference between games, besides I just don't have all that spare time to mess around memorising games (I have a goldfish memory so it is unlikely anyway). And if anyone really wants to disagree I am sure the greenfelt guys could check and back me up on that if they could be bothered. I also don't play under any other alias like some do.

• Thanks @jabba
    My point is that score is the higher priority... so you might take a few extra second to ensure that you have taken a game to it's farthest point. The other point was that a high ranked player, like yourself, are only going to win 2 singles games...the doubles games are averaged out with the two players on each team.

• Sorry, should have made myself clear in that I was responding to dbwoerner comments.

• Jabba...I was hoping that you knew my "cheater" comment was a joke. I tried to make it obvious with my 2 gazillion moves in less than 5 seconds. I forget sometimes that it is hard to read someones intent or tone and I have a way of wording things that sometimes doesn't come off the way that I meant it to.

• But I assumed you replayed games...mostly because I do.
    In the doubles rounds...if you pair yourself with a weaker player against (say) two average players and your partner doesn't complete a game that is 'winnable', but the other players do...you lose. The whole idea is to minimize the impact a great player might have, while at the same time hide your weaker players

• HD (is that ok?) - I struggle to find the time to do the leaderboard games once, only time I can have a go at replaying a game is when I am at work on night shift - but even then I usually move onto the non-leaderboard games just for a change of scenery. Nan01 - no drama my comment was directed toward you.

• If I can call you 'ja'
    This whole thing is based on a dart league I was in years ago. Strategy would come into play often. That's why I'm saying 6 or 7 players per team. You have to have 4 but nobody want to sit the bench all night so where do I put in my weakling? Against a jabba caliber player? ...or with my big gun in doubles?...but if they don't complete a game, I've wasted my big gun.
    It becomes very statistically driven

• jabba and lasso would make a great team

• Actually @Alani234 ...I thought they would make great captains... opposing each other.

• if I played as much as they played I would beat both of them as I have did in the past

• lasso and jabba are both friends for whom I have a lot of respect. But you prove my point...on any given day,,,anybody can lose a game.

• The league sounds fun but too much pressure to be a captain. I rarely replay games but I do make liberal use of the undo button. Guess thats like replaying. I keep at a game until I max out my score.

• Jabba - Didn't mean to offend. I am truly impressed with your abilities if you can finish that quickly the first time through a board - I doff my hat to you!!!!

• Nah no offence, just lettin ya'all know

• Not interested ,don't play as a competative person , only play for fun , it maybe great for those who like that rush , and a 2 year old could beat me with blindfold and all limbs tied behind their back. To banged up now to clash with the good players, and too old and decrepid at my young age going on 54 . good luck as I mentioned homedoggy in earlier message to you , in your endeavors, if you need a trophy presenter will place my name on list for that, Play on everyone!

• This was getting talked up when you were out of commission, G64. I thought it might be fun even though I don't play Freecell or Klondike much. It just never gained any traction. Nan01 and OnceCalmAtNight had good ideas about round robin type tournaments. Maybe that'll go somewhere.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...