the Leader Board scoring system

evanbrimstoneevanbrimstone REGISTERED
edited June 2010 in Feature Requests
I play Freecell on here, and I was wondering if the Leader Board could take into account the total amount of time a player spends solving the game of the day, rather than just the game in which they scored 52.

For example, Player One plays the game of the day and hits "replay" every time s/he gets stuck. S/he ends up playing three games that take approximately 1:30 each before s/he gets a score of 52. So Player One is now on the Leader Board with a time of 1:30. S/he actually spent, however, 4:30 to solve the game.

Player Two plays a different way - s/he uses the "undo" button when s/he gets stuck. S/he plays one game that takes 2:30 to reach a score of 52. So Player Two now is on the Leader Board with a time of 2:30.

In the current system, Player One is above Player Two even though Player One spent two minutes more to solve the game. Early on, Player One's multiple attempts will show up on the Leader Board, but as soon as eight more people reach a score of 52, the initial attempts will not show up, and Player One will appear to be the better player.

Just an idea - the game is fun regardless of what shows up on the Leader Board. But as you might have guessed, I play the second way - using the "undo" button instead of starting over. So I would like to see the board reflect the game times more accurately, rather than favor those who abandon their games when they get stuck.

Comments

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    I play Freecell on here, and I was wondering if the Leader Board could take into account the total amount of time a player spends solving the game of the day, rather than just the game in which they scored 52.

Hi Evan,

We would love this ourselves! We hear you, and we agree. The thing holding us back is that it's technically challenging, and we haven't thought of a solution we like yet.
    Just an idea - the game is fun regardless of what shows up on the Leader Board. But as you might have guessed, I play the second way - using the "undo" button instead of starting over. So I would like to see the board reflect the game times more accurately, rather than favor those who abandon their games when they get stuck.

Thanks for the idea. We'll look into making it so that restart is equivalent to undoing back to the start. That'll be at least a start at fixing the bigger problem and it's relatively easy. Don't hold your breath however... :)

-Jim
  • I understand how it would probably be difficult to keep adding the time a player spends on each retry.

In the meantime, here are some suggestions:

- Have the leader board display how many times they hit "replay" along with the player's score.

- Sort players on the leader board first by how many times they played, then by their time.

Evan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...