"Game of the Day"

What are the criteria for "game of the day"? Just curious :).

Comments

• You just gotta want to play. It is a competition type game. You try to get the best score of the day in the least time.

• Hey Silver Hawk...I think Jade1953 wants to know how the 'Game of the Day' is selected...who picks it...that sort of thing. Not positive, but I suspect it all computer driven. The G.O.T.D. just generates interest from the speed guys who can knock out a game in seconds.

• It's all computer driven. And the only award is bragger's rights :)

• I would imagine a number, between 000,000,001 and 999,999,999 is randomly chosen, by the program that runs this site (or the hamsters in their wheels that make Greenfelt work). As you will find, all the games of the day have the same game number.

• Thanks all - appreciate the info :)!

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    edited March 2018 75.31.173.112

The server chooses a random game # each day for the Game of the Day. The game # is the same for all games. It is technically between 0 and 4,294,967,295 (inclusive)—that's 32 bits for anyone who knows what that means.

Before we had the concept, there was no leaderboard and the site just gave out random games every time. The problem was that even if 100 people are playing at the same time, the possibility that they are playing the same random game (out of 4 billion) is very low. So whenever you would finish a game it was always just your name in the high score table. It made the site feel empty, like no one else was playing.

Thus the GOTD was born, so at least one game every day had other players on it. Later we added the leader board to collect GOTD high scores in a fun way. Then we made it so the games it fed you were "unplayed" games (games that others had played that you had not). That was ok but as the site grew big a couple things started happening—the database query to check for this got unbearably slow, and the results of the query started getting sorted (so everyone started playing games 1-1000 because someone early on had played them all manually). So we changed to something we call "seed chains" that keep the games random but still populated with other players. The seed chains change hourly and it attempts to keep track so that you don't get the same games if you keep reloading your browser during the hour.

• WOW - lot of thought went into this. Thank You, David. Not only for the info., but, this marvelous site :).

• David and Jim, I wasn't suggesting you were hamsters... :s :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...