Unsolvable Freecell Games

I've always heard that every deal of Freecell can be solved. I used to play it a lot, the Windows version, back before I'd ever heard of Greenfelt or Forty Thieves, and I remember there were some games that I was never able to crack. But that doesn't mean that someone else hasn't figured it out. But there's been no way to tell for sure.

Until Greenfelt. Greenfelt has a database of all the plays. It's not a conclusive proof, but after some large number of plays, every game that's solvable is almost certainly going to get solved by one of the sharpies on this site.

So, my question is: are there any Freecell games that haven't been solved (score = 52) after, say, 500 plays?

Unsolvable Forty Thieves games are a dime a dozen, of course.

Comments

• I believe there was at least one Windows version that was unwinnable. If I remember correctly it was game 11982. I haven't seen the Windows version in several years now, but I would be interested in knowing if others have any knowledge, as well.

• Some maths genius would be able to work this out. Logically is it possible to have an unwinnable game? With something like addiction, forty thieves, etc, it's physically possible for a game to be unwinnable but is the same true with freecell? Can it be dealt in such a way that you're unable to even make a first move? Is there someway that no matter what moves you do you end up in the same unwinnable place? Presumable yes but I need someone better at maths than I!

• I don't know about the other games,but in Klondike some games are not winnable,simply because you can't gain access to the card or cards that would enable you to release the card or cards that would allow you to complete the game.I have spent over half an hour on some games with no success.However,I may say that the more difficult games are the most enjoyable should you gain a good result.Enjoy your games.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...