Hi-scores in the era of trishatashastacy.

AnonymousAnonymous GUESTS
edited August 2009 in Bug Reports
How about two different scoreboards. One shows rankings for first play only. The other behaves just like now.

I also like your 'checking' players on or off your board idea, but wouldn't want to lose the option of competing with everyone.... Reasonably!

Brad

Comments

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    badly wrote:
    How about two different scoreboards. One shows rankings for first play only. The other behaves just like now.

That's how it works to some extent now. The leader board shows first plays only (and no anonymous plays) and the game's page show every play.

We have some new ideas for how to better detect and flag people who log in as different users, but practically, given that two people can share the same browser legitimately, it's a hard problem.

I can't seem to recall my new algorithm right now, but I told it to David, so I hope he remembers it! It had a good balance of being fair to the people who play many times and to the people who don't want to see all their scores.

-Jim
  • I think you are looking at it the wrong way. I play to beat the game, if someone has a faster time, so be it - I have still beaten the game.

I would still like the opportunity to continue playing the Game of the Day several times - so that I can get the highest possible score (but not necessarily in the fastest time). I also appreciate seeing other people's scores - that way I know what the highest possible score in a particular game is.

What I would like to see is: 1) a spot for people to post #'s of games they have beaten, i.e. not games of the day. That is my challenge - to also be able to beat a game. 2) hints for beating difficult games of the day. For example, it is frustrating sometimes to see that someone can get 52 in Canfield, but I can't figure out how to get a higher score than 6.

Thanks for the site, I am addicted.

Oh and for the people who really need to see their name at the top of the leader board - play early - you are guaranteed to have the highest score - at least for a few minutes.
  • daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    wendigo wrote:
    I would still like the opportunity to continue playing the Game of the Day several times - so that I can get the highest possible score (but not necessarily in the fastest time). I also appreciate seeing other people's scores - that way I know what the highest possible score in a particular game is.
    We agree--Jim's statement wasn't 100% accurate. It's not just your first game that show up on the leader board (and potentially the main game high score table if we make the change), it's the first at a particular score. So once you've scored a 52 in Sea Haven, playing again for a faster time won't improve your standing on the leader board. Try comparing the leader board's Klondike high score table with the high score table from the Klondike page. Yeah Trisha, Tasha and Stacy are still there, but they don't take up the entire thing with their crazy low times.
    What I would like to see is: 1) a spot for people to post #'s of games they have beaten, i.e. not games of the day. That is my challenge - to also be able to beat a game. 2) hints for beating difficult games of the day. For example, it is frustrating sometimes to see that someone can get 52 in Canfield, but I can't figure out how to get a higher score than 6.
    Jim and I have discussed both of those things before. Particularly #2 is interesting to us. We're thinking of integrating a little message board per game number (not anytime soon, but it's on our list of good ideas for the future).
    Thanks for the site, I am addicted.
    I think I speak for both Jim and myself when I say, "we love to hear that."
    Oh and for the people who really need to see their name at the top of the leader board - play early - you are guaranteed to have the highest score - at least for a few minutes.
    This is the only way I get on the high score table any more for Sea Haven Towers and Freecell! I used to be able to get on all the time--all you guys got better than me.

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...