Pareto set

Game: klondike
Game #: 383160412

What would you like to see?

There could be a Pareto set of players according to several criteria

• minimum time
  • minimum moves
  • minimum number of replay

If another player has best time, best moves, and best number of replay, then I'm not in the Pareto set, my score is dominated.
If no other player has both best time and best moves (some have best time but worse moves, some worst time but best moves) then I'm in Pareto set. If one has both best time and best moves, but with more number of replay, I'm still in Pareto set.

If we remove those in Pareto set, we can classify players in second pareto set, third pareto set, etc...
We thus have a Pareto rank, and also the number of dominating players (those better on all criteria + 1).

This is not restricted to Klondike.

Comments

• SageSage REGISTERED
    edited November 2017 135.23.69.185

I will say that, unless I am playing the game of the day, which I hardly obsess over, I don't care, or even notice, how my scores compare with other players'. I play Green Felt as a sort of quiet meditation... a gentle mind exercise... for which I am grateful for the opportunity to do so... that's about it.

• Thankfully, there is Green Felt. A place where hyper competion is not really needed. We can compete (as some prefer) or just kick back and enjoy the games as I prefer.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Here's a scatter plot of Freecell's GOTD as of 2017-11-14 9:50AM PST:

From what I understand from reading the Wikipedia page on Pareto Sets, the Pareto frontier/set would be those 3 plays with 87ish moves, and sort of the left hand most plays with 91 moves all the way down to the 12 second range including that fast one with 92 moves. And that would be sort of "rank #1". Then those would be removed from the set and the next frontier would be calculated giving us "rank #2" and so on.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure how we would represent it in our high score table. It sounds like (and I could totally be misunderstanding something here) all those in "rank #1" (15 by my count) would be effectively tied for first place. Effectively, we'd be giving up high score precision in exchange for some sort of "fairness" between moves and speed (and substantial complexity increase in rank calculations).

• What's that all about.Just enjoy playing the games.

• I dunno from Pareto Sets, but that scatter plot is lovely. Wouldn't mind seeing more of those, maybe with my score(s) as a red dot amongst the green.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...