Why can't I win Klondike?

AnonymousAnonymous GUESTS
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
I am a newer user to the site (since the end of December). I am wondering...is there something about the Klondike game(single turn) that I am not understanding or getting? I see that most games are beatable, yet I rarely get a score higher than 10.

Is it just a matter of the people who beat the game spend a lot of time trying combinations and "mapping" out on paper what cards are where in the deck in order to solve it?

Just wondering. I am more concerned that there is something to the rules or the game play that I am not understanding. I have just been playing it like a normal game of "solitaire" with only one run through the stock pile allowed.

Comments

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    Philsey wrote:
    I have just been playing it like a normal game of "solitaire" with only one run through the stock pile allowed.
    I have no idea how to win in general, but for Green Felt Klondike, you get as many runs through the stock as you want. Just click on the empty stock to flip the discard pile back over as the stock. I admit this isn't always the most obvious, but it makes sense once you know it.

Also, use undo liberally (and learn the keystroke for it: Control-Z).
    -Jim
  • OK, I feel reeaaalllly stupid now. I can remember trying to click on the waste pile to re-set the stock pile, but I don't think I ever tried clicking on the empty stock pile. Which, of course, makes infinitely more sense.

Thanks for the help!
  • Philsey wrote:
    wondering...is there something about the Klondike game I am not understanding or getting?

I feel that way when I'm playing the first game of Ykon after signing on. For some reason, I can never win that one, but when I "give up" and the list appears, it seems that 90% on the list solved it! Life's tough, sometimes :P
  • daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    Guest wrote:
    I feel that way when I'm playing the first game of Ykon after signing on. For some reason, I can never win that one, but when I "give up" and the list appears, it seems that 90% on the list solved it! Life's tough, sometimes :P
    Yeah, Yukon is interesting. Aside from the initial dealing, it actually uses the exact same game rules as Klondike. But those extra mess of cards makes such a difference! I also find it to be a harder game to win. You have to get into a Yukon mindset if you want to win it--the strategy is totally different from Klondike. It actually ends up playing a lot like Scorpion, and the same strategies apply.

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...