other players' scores

AnonymousAnonymous GUESTS
edited December 2011 in Feature Requests
For a while, you could see other players' scores, even when playing a hand other than the game of the day. I thought it was fun to see how other players had done over the past few months on that particular game. Now, you only see your own score when playing games other than the game of the day - I'm assuming that large number of possible game configurations makes it unlikely that any 2 people will actually play the same hand. However, I would like to go back to where multiple players will end up playing the same hand; is that possible?

Comments

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    zardoz59 wrote:
    For a while, you could see other players' scores, even when playing a hand other than the game of the day. I thought it was fun to see how other players had done over the past few months on that particular game.

I love that feature too! Sadly, we temporarily disabled it because it was the main thing that was making the site slow and causing the errors.
    Now, you only see your own score when playing games other than the game of the day - I'm assuming that large number of possible game configurations makes it unlikely that any 2 people will actually play the same hand.
    You're right, what's happening right now is that the game picks a random game to play when you click "New Game". There are 4,294,967,295 possible games which means there's a very small chance that anyone else has ever played that game (so you see no scores in the high score table).

It used to be that instead of picking a random game all the time, we made the site look through all the games that had been played and look for one that other people had played but that you hadn't. That way there would always be high scores there to see. Unfortunately that searching process was taking longer and longer as more and more people came to the site and played the games.
    However, I would like to go back to where multiple players will end up playing the same hand; is that possible?
    Jim recently had a good idea about how to speed it up and so we're hoping we can get it back up and running soon. Without it the site feels emptier, like everyone left (despite the fact that they haven't!).

-David
  • Not only feeling emptier but it's always a relief to find that after scratching your head for ages trying to win a particular game nobody else has managed it either and you're not quite as dense as you thought you might be!!
    It will be much appreciated if you can get it fixed.
  • jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    I changed the way we find games to play that others have already played and now it's fast enough that I re-enabled it.

Thanks for your feedback and happy playing,
    -Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...