Free cell - Add moves counter.

Game: freecell
Game #: 2093700471

What would you like to see?

Would like to see a counter of moves( FreeCell), gets updated while playing, showing the total number of moves counted after each move or click made by player.

Comments

• Knowing how many moves were counted as a result of of a player action( click, dragging, auto-finish ..) may improve some players' game.

• fingsaintfingsaint REGISTERED
    edited December 2022 119.18.1.122

Hi @YomTov This feature has been requested before but the Green Felt guys don’t consider it an option atm

This was Jim’s response to a previous request:-
    “ We’ve decided against having things that “update” while you play, so no move counter and no timer.

Have fun,
    -Jim”

• I wonder what you have against move counter? the counting process is not totally transparent and hard to figure out.
    I wonder on what ground the idea was reject?
    I am sure people would improve their knowing how much they are "paying" for each action( move, drag, undo, redo, auto-complete, your program making the complex move for you ...)!
    Sometimes , to learn on the number of moves, I click 'give up' notice the number of moves, replay to the same point and one more move then another 'give up', to figure out the 'cost' of the last move , and replay again. Very cumbersome!
    I am sure, for people who try to optimize their game a move counter is a welcome addition additions.
    I wonder, what was the reason the idea was rejected?
    I can not think about one bad thing if there is a move counter.
    I wish you reconsider. My best regards to Jim.
    In any case,I enjoy the game.
    Thanks.

• fingsaint, I read the thread and did not find any good reason not to implement aMove Counter.
    I agree with 'not displaying a Timer' - It will be a distraction.
    However, Move Counter is different. It is not a distraction. On the contrary - It will improve the playing experience because it will enable players to improve their game. Isn't striving to improve a good reason ?

The Move counter already exists internally, all it takes is displaying it. Being a retired software engineer I think:
    1 It will be relatively easy to implement
    2. The processing time to display it is super minuscule.

The greenfelt guys placed the the button 'Request a Feature' , in a way soliciting ideas to improve the the game. I think Move Counter will.

fingsaint, I do NOT agree with your statement "counter interferes with the speed of the games or makes them more susceptible to outages, freezing or other stuff*". Displaying a Move Counter is trivial. Realistically, I it will not interfere.. is not susceptible..
    Sorry, I was carried away to brainstorm like in my past good days.
    Thanks for relating to the subject.

• Hi @YomTov if you read further down the thread I linked to, you will notice that Jim the Green Felt guy says:-

“We don’t mind people requesting features we said we won’t implement. If enough people request them, we might just change our minds. :)

So there’s always hope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...