"Show a player's first score, not their fastest" doesn't work

I still see multiple scores from a user in the top 10

Comments

• jimjim REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

This can happen if the person has two different scores, say one for 51 and one for 52. Please share the game number and/or a screen shot.

• I am baffled by your reply that "this can happen", as my literal reading of the option would lead me to believe that it shouldn't ever happen. Perhaps I don't understand the intent behind the option, if it doesn't mean that I will never see multiple scores from a user, then what does it mean? I am playing Forty Thieves and I'll post a screen shot the next time I observe it.

• I came across this example. Rank 6 & 7 are the same user with two different scores.

• fingsaintfingsaint REGISTERED
    edited April 2021 119.18.2.79

Hi @unruly1 prathemas1123 has two different scores 56 and then 55. The score card is showing the number of moves and time that the player first managed to achieve those scores. Prathemas1123 may have had multiple attempts afterwards and achieved 55 or 56 many times but they won’t be recorded.

First score not fastest does not mean the first attempt is the only score, rather it means the first time you manage to get that particular score.

• unruly1unruly1 REGISTERED
    edited April 2021 73.11.88.3

Thank you for the explanation. I guess if I felt the option should operate as I thought, it would be a feature request?

As it now operates, it renders the rankings meaningless if a player can work up the ranks through repetitive play.

• fingsaintfingsaint REGISTERED
    edited April 2021 119.18.2.79

@unruly1 yes, I imagine that all ‘game of the day’ top scorers have repeatedly practised the game in question until they manage to get a handle on the winning combination and only then do they play for points. I do it when there’s the chance to win a low scoring Scorpion game of the day. (See below for yesterday’s GOTD)

I think it’s the kudos-high that makes people do it. I spend more time than it’s worth just to get a number one game of the day spot once in a while. And that’s just me doing it occasionally. We probably all need therapy of some sort if getting on a scoreboard means so much 😉🙂

So I’d take all scores with a pinch of salt. They’re well practised and do not reflect one-off flashes of games played brilliantly at a first attempt.

• P.S. On a separate point, where GOTD is not an issue, playing a game more than once is a legitimate way to find a solution to win a game that has proved difficult to find the winning path. So that will also account for players appearing more than once on the scoreboard.

Thanks for the screen shot, @unruly1. With the option we are trying to (lightly) discourage repeated plays once you have won just to get a faster time. We are not however trying to discourage people from trying to repeatedly play until they can actually win a given game.

That said, we could change the wording to be more accurate, :)

• I am playing for pleasure, to improve my thinking skills, and competing against no one except myself. If these personal goals ruin anyone's day, I'm very sorry. I love coming here and don't intentionally try to upset others and their day. That being said...PLAY ON!!

• barzonymousbarzonymous REGISTERED
    edited April 2021 99.76.46.40

I just unclicked the box. Which gave me a different view. And then reclicked it, because I'm in lock step with @terregma and unless scoring well on an internet game gets me a free trip to Paris...

Play on. Have fun.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    edited April 2021 10.0.0.100

Just to be clear, the super accurate wording would be "At a particular score, show a player's first game where they scored that particular score, not their fastest game at that score". That's a little wordy for the checkbox though :smile:.

• Just a little. (I thought the one you use works fine.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...