Demands

Is it my imagination, or are there more and more "demands" from users on this site? Folks, this is a free site. If you don't like what you see (others names or comments for example) I suggest you go somewhere else. No one is forcing any of us to stay. I love it here. Was saddened when for a while I couldn't play. But now that I'm back, I enjoy a gift from strangers who ask very little of us. So I recommend, Be kind or Begone.

Comments

• Hello terregma.Good that you are back on site again.As so many have advised,ignore these time wasters.They come,make a nuisance of themselves,then evaporate back into the ether.Enjoy your game and don't be put off by these idiots.Stay safe.Almost time for a cup of tea.

• PtownpapaPtownpapa REGISTERED
    edited February 2021 24.236.180.220

Perfect! My cuppa awaits - as soon as I post this it's on to tea and toast. My wife and I are now totally
    socked in by the first blizzard of the year. My chariot is surrounded by a 3 foot ( 1 meter/metre ) drift
    sculpted by a consistent westerly gale. My neighbor blew out his drive yesterday morning to no avail.
    This is the best place to be right now, warm and quiet, with Greenfelt. Play on and don't let the bastards grind
    you down. Spring is coming to the northern hemisphere.

• Well said one and all. I so appreciate this site and all of you. Here in Georgia, yes, that Georgia, we are expecting snow. That alone is enough to keep me close to home, the hearth and Greenfelt. Thank you to the whole bunch.

• I agree with you @terregma . Your point is about being civil. There's no call to be a jerk, especially with hosts like Jim and David who will never be anything but polite and professional. On a related note, I also find it very offensive that some users appear to make snide comments about what I can only assume are other members of this site. It's not okay to share an inside joke at others' expense or to make fun of anyone. If you must mock other people with your friends, do it in a direct message so we don't have to see it. With all due respect, it's not a waste of time to remind people that how they say things and what they say matter.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

One thing to understand is that we put the "report a bug" and "request a feature" links prominently on every game page. By the time someone clicks one of those links they've often gotten frustrated by whatever they are going to write about and that comes out in the report or question. I'm not sure what to do about it—it's kind of human nature. I know when I write bug reports to people I often have to go back and revise them because I find they're accusatory or pointed, even when I didn't really mean them to be.

• Very true we are all capable of being frustrated or whatever. You checked yours though. And then you revised. I guess we should check and revise if we care about others.

• I tend to actually check the rules and the FAQ. So many things that someone considers a "bug" are
    explained. Then I check the forum. A lot of answers there.

• Civility: you get what you give. Nicely worded @Imposter

• @david: would it be possible to call more attention to the "This will be posted publicly in our forum so don't" line in the preloaded text? Bold text, larger font, marching ants... Could be an interesting little experiment on how such subtle tweaks affect behavior.

• Typical civility of Green Felters: forestall newbie frustration. Could also add to a new player's intro an alert re automatic moves, background clicking, holiday decor (grin), etc.? Reduce outrage, save time for David and Jim?

Deus, I'm 60 years a copyeditor/proofreader and never saw marching ants. Am giggling greatly. Does it mean those ellipses?

• Marching Ants was a hokey text effect that I encountered in Word or WordPerfect about 3 decades back. Though they appear to have gone extinct in the word processing domain, they survive today as the standard border of a selected region in graphics programs like Photoshop. Like this.
    They even have their own page on Wikipedia!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...