New game isn’t new

Game: yukon
Game #: 189112240
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.0.5 Safari/605.1.15
JS-Version: 2020-06-12_13:07:35_-0700_b5c74981424a08debd6c7d372a2e2bd1186c9155

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:

When I click on the new game button it keeps giving me games I’ve previously played. The game of the day is also a game I previously played.

Comments

• Repeating games happens to everyone now and again... as you'll find by searching the forum.

Click on the New Game button (on the left, under the Green Felt logo), of any game. Then click on the High Scores button to see if you've played it before. Keep doing this until you get a game you don't have a score on, because you haven't played it. Or just click it five or six times. You should get a game you haven't played, by then.

Alternately, click on the yellow game number of any game. (To the right of Auto Finish.) You can enter any number from 1 to 999999999 then click Enter (on your keyboard) to play that game.

• I always thought "New Game" meant a game other than the one currently displayed, not a guarantee that you' never seen it before. If you play a lot, one would assume you're going to see more repeats.

• I think what has been happening is if I return to greenfelt after some time away and I don’t refresh the page, the random generator is working off a game I already played, and it will give me (or be more likely to give me?) games I played the last time I was playing. If I refresh the page, I get games I’ve never played before when I click new game. This isn’t a situation where I get a single game I played before, rather, I repeatedly in a row get games I already played.

• @LawMama, here's how I think it works: once you get a game, subsequent games will follow a "thread" of random numbers that others, playing now, are also following. The threads reset at the top of the hour. The reason for the threads is to make sure that everyone has some company while they play. If every player's next game were randomly selected from the 999,999,999 available, it's likely that you would never, or very rarely, encounter another player on the scoreboard. Every game would be just you, win or lose — that would not be much fun.

It's not guaranteed that you will never get a game you have played before. It does happen, but not all that often.

• I think games follow a thread or “seed” game, but I just walked away from a game and when I came back and hit “new game” repeatedly, it took multiple “new games” before
    I got to a game I hadn’t played. This happens even if I leave a game overnight, and it doesn’t happen if I refresh the page. I believe replaying the game of the day will “seed” your next games off the game of the day, and you’ll see games you played after your previous play of the game of the day. Not a big deal, though I didn’t understand how it worked when I originally posted this thread. It’s not just a random “out of the millions of games, I got one I’d already played”. It has something to do with which game is the starting “seed” for the randomizer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...