Most honorable speed demons.

So... we have a couple of new honorable speed demons on the block: ありがとう ございます。which is Japanese for Thank You Very Much and 失礼します which is Japanese for Excuse Me. Get ready boys and girls, let the friendly games begin. A warm welcome to Thank You Very Much and Excuse Me

Comments

• Domo arigato in translation for thank you, sumimasen for excuse me,

• Thanks for the phonetics Gerald64, were you in Japan? Take care.

• never been out of Tennessee, well almost lost direction. Nah! never been to Japan, I used google translate.

• my guess is that it’s Origami for DeusExMachina ;)

• @fingsaint are you sure? Hard to believe that @DeusExMachina would conceal his real nom de plume :| .

• He is a character isn't he.............?

• They're not mine.
    If I were to go all kanji for a alias, I'd go with 自我を変える or 祭壇の自我. Neither of which quite capture the spirit. But, dang, they cracked me up...

• Yeh...he sure is. Seems like a nice person...easy going and doesn't take himself too seriously (which is sometimes one of my faults)

• Go easy. I don't think I can translate Deus to Kansai

• 自我を変える Change Ego...祭壇の自我 Egg of the Alter. Can see why they would crack you up...especially Egg of the Alter. Cool!!

• @homedoggy...DeusExMachina (latin) translates to "God from the machine"translates to 機械からの神.

• DeusExMachinaDeusExMachina REGISTERED
    edited December 2018 99.49.195.50

The phrase struck me as vaguely apropos to the way Auto-Finish brings a game to a rapid and sometimes unexpected conclusion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina?wprov=sfti1

• Personally I think its a fantastic nom de plume. It can mean so many things to so many people. Wasn't sure if you were into ancient latin theatre or motorcycle gear. It's true...the phrase is fascinating.

• Long Story:

A couple of weeks ago, zapallo changed his or her username to “arribastarget” and then to “zapallo” (pumpkin or gourd)….sort of the alpha/omega to my “arriba”.

Then a couple of days ago, zapallo grew weary of my playing at a later time and winning by a couple of seconds and changed his or her name to “Youfirst”.

I responded with the username “osakini” (roughly, “you go ahead of me” in Japanese), to which he or she responded by changing his or her name to “osakinidouzo”, which is a little more polite “please, you go ahead of me.”

I thought I would be clever and respond in kanji and hiragana with the name “shitereishimasu” which literally means “I’m going to be rude” but is used as “excuse me” when leaving first from work (in this case, going first in the game) or entering/leaving a room, interrupting someone, etc.

Equal to the challenge zapallo changed his or her name in hiragana to “arigatogozaimasu”, or “thank you very much.”

What we both learned is that one can’t change usernames again without administrator intervention…..not sure why.,,,.must be the hiragana and kanji.

I noticed that zapallo created a new id with his or her abandoned one, and I did the same.

Back to our old selves, minus the records, but a little wiser.

• Wow! I become more pedestrian by the day. I actually have never thought of communicating with usernames. Arriba is an amazing pain in my behind.

Thank you for your explanation
    You are a remarkable player
    Have a good day
    'Zapallo'

• This is getting weird

• wonderful story and response

• So clever, I am impressed and delighted by this!
    Reminiscent of the person who wrote Shakespeare using usernames.

• I agree with Gerald - it's almost beyond weird. Let's keep it in English once again for those of us who do not understand all the Japanese. It's amazing all the players that do.

• @anglais ...I did know the Latin translation ...I am an old Catholic doggy after all. But there is a 2nd meaning to Deus ex machina which makes it the perfect moniker for our learned friend. It's what they call a plot twist in a story where the characters are facing an impossible problem when suddenly a solution presents itself.

• Here is a post from a Hall of Famer named 'kingfisher'

User names are fun. The longest ones I used were a poem on April Fools Day 2012, when the card colors were reversed:
    https://blog.greenfelt.net/2012/04/02/april-fools-pranks/
    I also registered some 40 bird names:
    https://forum.greenfelt.net/discussion/comment/2380/#Comment_2380
    David in his reply to this, noticed that I had registered Hamlet's speech from Shakespeare under multiple user names:
    tobeo, rnott, obeth, isthe, question?, whethe, rtisn, obler, mindtos, uffe, slings.
    I played against the infamous 3bc, with user names like 3b-on-holiday-yippee.

This is the best site by far for card playing on the internet. A big thank you to David and Jim.

• That's our homedoggy for you:.....Let's play cards and have fun.

• In literature "deus ex machina" has the sense of the writer cheating or cheaping out: pulling a solution out of nowhere, with no foreshadowing or prefiguration involved.

I am absolutely loving this abstruse, arcane, and learned conversation!

• I thought it had to do with the movie!

• @失礼します, or should I say Arriba, thank you for the privilege of letting us witness the silent duel between yourself and ありがとう ございます。(Zapallo). Obviously, judging from zapallo's response, you seem to have made a new friend out of a competitor. Just love these happy ending.

• What I enjoy about Greenfelt, is imagining people all over the world, at different times of day, with their different customs, daily activities and relationships, all participating in these games ( sometimes competitively :) ) for the simple purpose of enjoying puzzles and companionship. My thanks to Jim and David for creating and maintaining such a place - in a sometimes difficult and confounding world - and my thanks to Arriba-San for being so good.

• Terrific!

• wowo im just here to waste 15 minutes on forty thieves, all the while this is going on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...