People that are veterans of Freecell, people that have played since they are 7 and are masters.

I heard they actually have held tournaments in the past in some areas, probably most of them would be men in their mid 20's or dudes in their teens, I would feel awkward but I would be one of the ones beating people, I have made my own techniques, like I said, this is for veterans, not for people to get jealous or get angry, I am trying to start a discussion for people to talk about tournaments on Freecell. How many people are seriously trained at Freecell on this website or should I leave to another? If people get angry, it shows maturity.

Comments

• Never have heard that anger is a sign of maturity.

• well honestly I am almost 54 , and I only play for fun, never been a competitor at anything tho I have seen some on here that are , not here for high scores just hear to have fun and enjoyment , no contests for me get lucky and have played Free cell for many years on numerous computers and devices, and it is an escape from everyday life at times especially of late with life threatening issues at times have kept me focusssed, and sane on some life changes called life , If I want a release I send messages to a few others I consider friends, I have had to use that with in last 2 weeks , I am truly sorry if I stepped on your toes with my comment , some may not agree with me it is just my way of escape over competiveness . Thank you for allowing me to share and good luck with your endeavors on your posts, and wish the best for you, Take Care , play on!

• Next time you achieve a Freecell score that you're proud of, and you feel is unbeatable, post the number of that game on this thread in the forum, and give us "veteran players" a crack at it. If I cannot beat that score (in seconds, not moves), I'll be the first to congratulate you on this forum. I don't consider myself tournament-worthy, but I am competitive. I don't have a touch screen, so if I can beat your score, then perhaps you had better hold up on pursuing tournaments.

• Oh snap...the gauntlet has been laid down.
    Where do we go to place a bet?

• These comments are fine, if it were to get out of hand and make people unhappy then I would call that unresolved bothersome dilemmas that people couldn't handle. These comments are fine. If someone would think talking about quality would be unfair and cause anger, I would not be okay with that.

• Gerald.. I am sorry to hear about your recent health issues and do hope that soon you're be in complete recovery. I haven't been able to log on even though I've tried, but have read some of the posts. hope you get well soon and in the meantime enjoy the games you like and continue having fun. Tu Amiga

• I don't see where anybody got upset, OnceCalmAtNight. You said you're beating everyone with your own techniques and "serious training" on Freecell and challenged people to a tournament. All @GammaRho496 said was that before we go through all that trouble... "Gimme your best shot"
    If you don't feel confident enough to accept that challenge...that's fine.
    Secondly...many of the top players on this site are, in fact, ladies. At the risk of being ungentlemanly, I suspect their age to be north of their 20's.
    My own comment was a joke and didn't indicate if I'd bet for you or against.

• love, Greenfelt Freecell. Helps calm my nerves. I'm north of 70 yrs.. Sometimes, I just sit and play on automatic. I have been on the leader board a few times. Good mind exercise. Thank you, creators of said game. Been playing freecell for years.

• Gotta hand it to OnceCalmAtNight. She posted a good score on game # 139967051. It's a pretty tough game requiring lots of moves far apart from each other. Check it out now. Place your bet doggy.

• yep tough game just tried it , not a competitor but it is very challenging game of Free cell will have to tackle it a few more times , would be embarrassed to tell my score so will leave the competativness to all of you , Thanks gamma ,homedoggy, and especially to Oncecalmatnight,

• I couldn't get the score (backend server issues) but it sounds like GammaRho496 got smoked like a cheap cigar. Good on ya, OnceCalmAtNight

• Not this time doggy; it was the other way around. Didn't realize my note was that ambiguous.

• ...but OnceCalmAtNight got game.

• check out the scores and draw your own conclusion. the server is back up at the moment. i would say she has game.

• Yeah... you clipped her by a bit. But I'm still hoping O.C.A.N. can get a tournament off the ground. It sounds like fun

• yep--as long as i don't get smoked like a cheap cigar. wouldn't want an unresolved bothersome dilemma here.

• Thanks GammaRho496...for holding up the end of the more mature players among us.
    But maybe O.C.A.N. was sandbagging that game...to create a false sense of security. Hmmm

• Where is O.C.A.N in all this , see no messages from her ?????????????

• I beat the game -- it took me 8+ minutes to do it. In some ways I could say it was 8 minutes I'll never get back, but it was interesting. I don't know the logic, secrets, whatever, to get the time down to less than 30 seconds. I'll stick with 40 Thieves and rassle them for amusement :)

• since we want to show off our skills on Free Cell try game#909776493 :'( toughy huh! Good Morning to all jamming war of words by Fight -Album w/Rob Halford for Judas Priest vocalists,

• Just Having a good time,

• Well...OnceCalmAtNight. I hope you come to the conclusion that the players on Green Felt do indeed take their Freecell seriously, even if the forum is rarely a place of long faces. Good luck to you in getting a Freecell tournament going. I'd say you need 8 players minimum and with you and GammaRho496 playing, you're part of the way there.

• Gerald64, per your suggestion, i tried it. You're right; FC game # 909776493 is difficult. But not impossible. Check the scoreboard now, both the "Moves" and "Seconds" boards. This Bud's for you. Hope you're feeling better.

• Finally bumped into O.C.A.N. again. I thought we had lost her. Check out FreeCell game # 122235036. She got game, but it needs work. I doubt she was sandbagging as doggy suggests.

• I am a fairly new player and I do not see how anybody can finish one of these games in less than a minute. Heck, I can’t hit my screen 90 times in a minute. How in the world is this done?

• @Gra19Gramma ...a lot of it is done with the 'auto-finish' button...it counts those moves

• I do that too. But to get it to that point in less than 30secs?

• I wish I could just watch one of those games. I doubt my eyes could keep up much less my mind. Hmm it’d probably just drive me nuttier

• Although I am not a fast player, I have read the remarks from those who are. Mostly it is practice, practice, practice. You also need to know ALL the shortcuts. And, lasso says she has a touch screen which helps her go fast.

• G19G, by now you've already figured out that the keys to a fast game are: 1) minimize click count, 2) maximize super moves, 3) judicious use of the auto-finish feature, and 4) at a minimum, develop a click-per-second rhythm once you've determined your click sequence.

If you haven't already, consult the rules for a working definition of a super move. Also, clicking on any blank area on the screen performs an auto-finish function. Insofar as clicks are concerned, a touch screen is the quickest, next the touch pad, and a mouse is the slowest. I use a touch pad, and am barely able to achieve a click-per-second. The single-digit scorers all use touch screens or have discovered some way to cheat. The number of moves required for any game will generally range from 75-125. As a rough (very rough) rule of thumb, the 'moves to click-count ratio' should be approximately 4-1. E.g., for a game requiring around 100 moves, one should be able to execute in 25 clicks or less; hence a 25-second score.

Therefore, all the really fast scores come when the player has discovered enough super moves + auto-finish opportunities to get the click-count down into the teens. It will take some time (and experience) to develop a knack for looking at a deal of the cards and determining where the best super move possibilities lie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...