Klondike auto-moves spoil game

Game: klondike
Game #: 1332918334

What would you like to see?

One of the main challenges of Klondike is, "Does the player see the card in the tableau, which can now be move to another tableau pile?" Often I overlook such a card, and if I put a card from the stock onto the tableau then I have blocked moving the card from one tableau pile to another tableau pile which can cause me to lose.

My problem is the implementation of Klondike, in the code of Greenfelt, moves the tableau cards without my explicitly asking it to. This points out moveable cards I have overlooked, and destroys one of the most important challenges of the game.

Could you implement a feature that shuts-off automoves? All automoves of every sort. I am constantly struggling with the game moving cards when I have not explicitly moved them.

Also in this game there is at the top a button labeled "Autocomplete" but is is useless as the game autocompletes without the player asking it to. Could you make it a toggle that turns off all automoves?

Comments

• When you click anywhere on the playing field, even unintentionally, you tell the came to "auto-complete". Being careful where/when you click may well help your problem with cards moving when you don't expect them to.

As far as the 'Autocomplete" button...I have no clue.

• I don't have an Autocomplete which may be your problem.However,you have to watch the automoves,they can ruin your game as you have described.I don't know what you use,but if it's a mouse one click on the right will reverse any unwanted moves.You may already know this.I hope this doesn't put you off an excellent site.Enjoy your game.

• It does happen to many of us... I don't use the mouse.. and when the cards start moving around on their own I simply click on RE-DO and put them back so I can move them myself.. The Auto complete I have is called Auto-Finish.. button which is located at the top next to the assigned game... it allows you to click on that button to finish the game quicker instead of playing each card where they belong .... hope that helps you.... enjoy your games....

• Has anyone figured out why this has started doing this? I didn't used to. If we could find out why, maybe whatever was changed can be undone.

• LMA1, right clicking on any blank area on the playing field has been a shortcut for "Auto-Finish" ever since I started playing here (well over a year now). It's not 'started' this lately, it's built in. We all need to be careful where we click. Such as for a person who taps their mouse while figuring the next move, you just told the game to move all the cards that can be moved up. We do it and don't even realize we do it. We really all need to pay attention to what our fingers are doing.

Laptop4me, if you are using your pad to control your moves it works the same. When your curser is on a blank area on the playing field, if you tap your pad it will move your cards because you told it to.

In short, be careful where you click/tap.

Enjoy the games

• Thank you.... I have used computers in my line of work for many years and have been on this site for quite a few too... and even though it does happen automatically, I have gotten used to it and deal with it... and have fun playing ..... I recently joined the group in Discussion even though I had been playing for years ... Have fun... !!!

• I also don't want auto finish. It takes away the challenge of the game if some cards move automatically,

• budooo, there are no "automatically" moving cards. What is happening is YOU are telling the game to make auto moves when you right click on your mouse. That happens when you don't pay close enough attention to what your fingers are doing. We ALL do that now and then, but most of us know it is OUR fault not the game. When you right click on an empty area on the playing field (happens for people who tap their fingers while thinking or who rush too fast and click the mouse. Again, it is YOU doing this, not the game. Enjoy the games.

I've been in the hospital with pneumonia the past 5 days. I'm back.

• I want to rephrase the request.

Could you disable all automatic moves. In my original version of this request (above) I spoke of how much of the challenge of the game is that the player makes avoidable errors. The player makes a mistake by not seeing a possible move until they have blocked that move. Actually seeing every move as it becomes available is a significant challenge, and I fail at it constantly. This is why I enjoy the game.

I also fail to use the mouse clicks correctly. Note that I have played thousands of games of Klondike on this site, and I still make mouse clicks I do not intend to make, e.g. click on the face down card immediately above the top face up card in a pile in the tableau. That top face up card is a small target, which I find hard to hit. When I click on the face down card, the game moves multiple cards, if possible, to turn it face up. Yikes!

The ideas expressed in both of the above paragraphs rely on the frailty, the fallibility, and the proneness to error, of living humans. The entire reason for computers is that they never make a mistake in adding up a column of numbers, nor in auto-clicking a mouse, nor in failing to see a moveable card.

Please make it possible for me to turn off all forms of auto-moves in this game.

P.S. I am sorry I confused my fellow forum readers with my original post by using the word "explicitly" to mean "intending to click the mouse in that way, in that situation." I am fully aware that this game of Klondike only moves cards in response to my commands, but I am human and prone to errors, so that I continue to miss my target when I click, and then the game does what I asked it to do, instead of what I want it to do. Shutting off the entire auto-move system is the only way to prevent the computer program from making moves I do not want it to.

• lilredyakr2lilredyakr2 REGISTERED
    edited April 2018 68.171.86.61

I too do not like auto-moves when I have not clicked on anything. Most of the time it screws up the game and if you "undo" it you find there are much better moves to make.

• I don't quite understand the above.The auto-move can be an irritant but can be dealt with in a split second.I don't find it a problem.Many of us seem to manage quite well as long as we are careful.With respect,you should always be in control of the game,including keeping an eye on the auto-move.Even without the auto-move you still have to be able to read the game and facilitate the moves necessary to unblock the cards needed to complete the game to your satisfaction.This is not a criticism of you.You have been very honest in describing what seems to be a major problem for you.I just don't see that it would make any difference to actually playing the game.Regardless of outcome I hope you will not be discouraged from playing these games.Others on this site may have different views.In the meantime,I wish you well.Springrain,I hope you are well now and getting back into the game.Play on.

• Is there no way this can be reversed back to the way it used to be? I would rather move the cards I want when I want to. The game is just not as much fun when it is moving 2 or more cards at a time when I want to only move one. It also wastes time if you decide to move them back. It did not used to be this way. Can it, somehow, be changed back to how it was before? Thank you.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

@LMA1, When did you notice this started happening? (nothing has changed within the past year as far as this feature goes).

@Gymlea, I understand your issue. I thought we implemented that a long time ago, but I think we might have broken it "recently" (at least 3 years ago). In general, I agree—super moves should never take face down cards into consideration. But because of the way that it's written (super moves are indistinguishable from regular moves in the code), it's hard to tell when a card should be considered "face down" (since when cards get moved off of it during the super move it automatically turns itself face up). Anyway, we need to mark the face down cards somehow so that we know not to use them. Sadly this isn't a trivial fix so it's going to be a little down on our priority list.

• Interesting discussion. I did not know it's my "fault" when the cards move on their own. I "think" I have trained the man behind the curtain when I hit undo, and repeat as many times as necessary. Now I'll have to play "right." But isn't the auto part the reason some people get 52 in a flash. Ok, I'll stop berating the board and try to watch my fingers. Thanks all,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Feature RequestsComment As ...