Breaking a double tie on the leader board

It appears that leader board time ties are ranked by number of moves, but if moves are tied, the order is random. The Flower Garden for 2/24 (I think) was not solvable and there are four people tied with 1sec and six moves. The ranking is random between those four - I can refresh my browser and get a different order. It seems to me they should be ranked by who did it first.

Not exactly a critical bug, I know, but....

Comments

• are u kidding me??

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Yes, in the case of ties, the order (within the tie) is random. Well not random, but not specified. I'd expect it to be stable as long as there are no new games added to the seed, though it probably depends on the way the indexes are stored in the DB.

It would be an easy change to order by date, and while I don't mind it, but this is only coming up because you want to be number one on that list, isn't it? ;)

• I only noticed it because I intermittently showed up in the weekly chart for Flower Garden when I was credited with being number one on the daily chart. I only made that entry as a joke - pointing out how meaningless the "timed" list is sometimes...the "winner" only has to click somewhere to initiate auto-play and then click "give-up" as fast as possible B^)

That being said, for non-trivial ones, it seems that the first one to accomplish the feat should be awarded the highest. I did some looking after noticing this and there were a number of cases where it came up throughout the week........and again, it's not what anyone would call a critical bug...

• For some players new games of the day might come out in the middle of the night. Changeover happens irrespective of a players time zone.

• I thought that was the case. Are you saying the times I see are local to whoever is playing? It doesn't seem to be the case to me - at least it seems I would have noticed wildly different time/date stamps.

• No, I think the times are our local. My point is that some people will not get a chance to play if they are not awake yet because of their time zone. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your point.

• Ok, I suppose that would put you at a disadvantage if the games change at 3am your time. I was just pointing out that double ties are randomly ranked and it seems like they shouldn't be.

• Ah, that makes sense.

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

The GOTD changes at midnight Greenwich Mean Time (that was the easiest to program :) ). The times in the high score table are stored in our database in a global time format, but we display them in your browser's local time for your sanity's sake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home Bug ReportsComment As ...