Forty Thieves help!

I have played todays game of the day 3 times and got a score of 14 all three times.  High scorers were in the 40's  Clearly there is something I am not seeing, and this happens often.  I see others have a much higher score, so I replay very slowly and just don't see what I'm missing.  Am I blind, or perhaps is there some trick to this that I'm missing?  I often score in the top 10, very rarely am the top scorer.  What's the trick?

Comments

• I've also noticed that the score posted by the computer is different than the score I count.  I wonder why???

• It would be nice if there were a key stroke to turn over the stock pile and thus save the finger.  It would be nice if the UNDO button were closer to the discard pile.  It would be nice.  I love this game.  - jockey

• Forty Thieves is the only game I play, and it is devilishly hard. Some things to consider: sometimes it's best NOT to make a play. For instance, if you turn up the seven of hearts, and there's a place for it, but there's another seven of hearts in another column behind a three, chances are you'll play off that three soon, and then you can move the seven over and get closer to an open column. Open columns are gold, because you can play anything there, and you can use them to move runs of cards over. For instance, if you get two open columns, you can move a run of four cards over if you're moving them to a base card or a run of three if you're moving them to an open column.

Don't be afraid to do a ton of undos to get back to a card you passed up, or to go back to get rid of a card you should have passed up but didn't. One thing that helps your game is to really work a single game, going back over and over many times just to see what other moves you could have made and whether they would get you more points. Do that a few times and regular games you just play through to the end will start to look easier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...