Cheating

AnonymousAnonymous GUESTS
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
I hope the cheaters are happy that they find a way to beat what is supposed to be a FUN game. So to the godzillas of the world I hope you are happy with the knowledge that you evidently can't measure up to competition. Your like the bully on the block that "folds his tent" when the little kid says "enough is enough" and punches him in the mouth. Your LOSERS and you all know who you are.

Comments

• i don't think they consider cheating by utilizing keyboard shortcut programs that you have to purchase. if the pause button were removed it would stop them or slow them down. oh! yeah tips, tricks, outside programs and shortcuts would get you shot 100 years ago. cards have been played pretty much forever . i play straight up and you will not see me with a 27 second game time.remove the pause button and maybe some of the brainiac wannabes' could solve our countries real problems.
  • jaakkojaakko REGISTERED, NEWLY_REGISTERED
    #	Name	Date	              Score	Moves	Time
    1	elif	2015/02/18 10:09am	52	   99	   -1w-1d

That's a pretty damned impressive time.
  • How does the pause button help "cheating"? When you hit pause the cards all fade away to virtual invisibility so it's not like you can sit and plan!
    In any case "cheating" is a very subjective term; if there were prizes for the fastest time (thank goodness there aren't) then speed aids might be considered cheating. If we were playing competitive games (hearts, crib) then they might be considered cheating. Solitaire is a game against yourself only - the clue's in the name after all - with a leader board just to add interest so "cheating" with speed aids is perhaps self-delusion, certainly not a crime.
    Personally I enjoy seeing if I can get in the top ten at SHT, I love it when I'm the first to win a difficult game and I aspire to do as well at 40T as buddha, jabba or wishy because I suck at that one.
    If some players choose to keep playing the same game until they can log on and solve it in less than 10 seconds that's their lack of a life and has no impact on my enjoyment of the various challenges.
  • Amen to that. I'm starting to worry about being labeled. Is it cheating to replay a game to see what you've missed? If I don't win, I see if anyone else did, and then do a replay. And sometimes come in high in the big ten. But what's the replay button for, if not to learn. In my solitary way . . .
  • daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    The negative time is almost certainly a bug and not cheating (I'm pretty sure we know what's causing it but it's a pain to fix properly so we've been living with it).

The replay button is definitely not cheating. I replay a game when I get stuck and I want to start over. The alternative would be to undo back to the beginning, but that's too much of a pain. I do think replaying a game once you've won simply to improve your time is a bit weak. To me it turns a thinking game into a dexterity game.

-David
  • Wow! Great new format!
  • No, replaying a game over and over then logging in and posting a ridiculous time isn't cheating, but it certainly violates the spirit of the games and clearly upsets a lot of people.

I have a suggestion that I think would help out on this issue.  I think it is worth a trial run.

I haven't played every game here, so I'm not sure this would be applicable to them all.  But from what I have played, it seems the game presents you with three perimeters when you have finished: Score, Time, and Number of Moves.  Only the score and time seem to matter in the final standings though.

What if you took all three of those into consideration in the rankings?  And do it by Score, Number of Moves, and Time?  I would think it would be relatively easily to code that since you collect the data already.  And it would be easy to work out. 

For instance in Yukon:  Anybody with a score of 52 is going to beat anybody with a lesser score.  But within that, anybody with a score of 52 and, say, 100 moves is going to beat anybody with the same score  butmore moves.  And time would only become relevant after the first two are determined. 

I doubt that anything will actually stop the people who want to violate the spirit of the games, but this would certainly slow them down and make them work harder and longer to get to the top of the rankings.  And once they did, they could be fairly easily knocked off by somebody who didn't practice to lower their times. 
  • daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS
    We actually have implemented exactly what you suggest. If you click on the moves label in the high score table it will sort by moves instead of time.

-David
  • Great, David!  I think you should make that the default value then or it won't have any effect on the spoilers.
  • I would like to see the leader board  based on number of moves rather than time.  I do use the the number of moves option on high scores, but the leader board is how I tell if I have played a particular game of the day so I see the speed freaks all of the time.  It's more of an annoyance than anything, but since I have never been interested in speed (I never got around to adding a clock to the solitaire game program I wrote) I would more easily ignore the speed factor if you based the leader board on number of moves rather than speed.

Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...