Why do you set up games that they are complex and count,you should giv

If you don’t want us. To do free cell just say so. I’m very disappointed if we are not happy

Comments

• daviddavid REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS

Our games are random. Trying to classify an unplayed game is actually a pretty difficult problem—you'd have to first write a solver and then decide from the solution whether it's "easy" or not, which I'm not sure is super straight forward.

Another thing to do would be to classify games that people have played. We could see that if, say, 30% of people passed a particular "seed" (think "shuffle") then maybe it's hard. If 99% of players passed it then maybe it's trivially easy. But that only works when a certain number of players have attempted a given seed. So the first players that attempt it don't get the benefit of knowing if it's hard or not. At one point we tried doing this—the problem was it was very slow, and we weren't sure that the end results were worth trying to optimize it.

It also means that if we only wanted easy/medium games of the day that they'd all have to be played before we picked them, which is kind of weird and frankly kind of the opposite of where I'd like to move to. Another weird wrinkle is that the "game of the day" shuffle is the same across all card games. There's no guarantee that a given shuffle that's easy in Freecell would also be easy in Scorpion, for instance. If we wanted to go that route we'd have to drastically change the way we handle the "game of the day".

So for now we just pick random games. They are as hard or as easy as you'd get shuffling a physical deck, which seems like a reasonable compromise.

• Well explained.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...