Notre Dame Cathedral Fire Paris

I know this has nothing to do with playing on this wonderful site, but, almost 850 years of history is threatened with this fire. It is not just a Catholic Church, but, a World Heritage Site and resonates with me because of the history it has "seen". It even survived both World Wars and now is in danger. Some of the artwork and objects are irreplaceable. Best wishes to the brave firefighters and all who are helping.

Comments

• Yes. Many prayers for the safety of those fighting the fire and attempting to save as much artwork and history as possible.

• Breaks my heart too, but I have to say I felt a great weight lift when it began to look more like accident / construction-related than terrorism, which is what I first feared.

• Amen, we hope something can be saved, but honor all the brave firefighters who are doing their best.

• Have to admit, zudensternen, my first thought was not terrorism, but accident because of the construction work. It was discussed how "fragile" the fabric of the building was on a BBC news article a couple of months ago.

• An excellent short news piece (4/5/2019) about Notre Dame and the restoration efforts. The pictures of the cathedral are breathtaking.
    http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190404-the-massive-cost-of-saving-notre-dame

• Thank you @Jade1953. It's heartbreaking, but I think the essence of these cathedrals is ... they took so long to build. First stone at Notre Dame was laid in 1163. It took 200 years to build, continuous work by all sorts of people. And now this is another chapter. It's history, so much longer than in the U.S. Notre Dame de Paris will survive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Home General DiscussionComment As ...